Surprise Jan 7

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Surprise Jan 7

Post by Surprise »

My Friend Tom Booska's Grand Son Keith had no school today and last week we planned on taking him fishing.

Well this mornings temperature merited a later start and that we did and met at 11:30 at Converse.

Loaded up S L O W L Y and launched with the Heater and defroster fan running. Headed out into the lake for Split Rock.......the breeze in the lake was enough to have us go slow enough as to not ice the deck.

Set up at 12:30 at the steel tower headed south and at the Unicorn picked up a salmon Keith's first Lake Champlain fish and Salmon, followed by two lakers. Then being a Kid we started and ate Lunch in the calm water, today Italian Meatball Soup, Apples and Kathy's Chocolate Chip Squares.

A triple with a double on one rod with slider headed north past the ball grabber. The slider clip broke open with the drop of that fish and landed two. Finished the day with two salmon by Seagull rock.

Pulled at 3:30 for a Great First outing for a New Fisherman. I Know Keith had Fun and His Grandfather Too!

At picture time Keith only wanted to hold up his Largest fish First so we have a happy boy with a Laker and one of his Salmon.

I'm off for ten days because of work but might break out this Sunday.

Water temp 39.4
Last edited by Surprise on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fish On!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Surprise Jan 7

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for posting randy the weather was brisk. gull rock is better known to the locals as salmon rock. waiting for your next post.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

New Years float doesn't get much better in January!
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Way to go Randy - I'm jealous - but with the Money Pit II under wraps, I've turned my sights to the ice and denizens like this!

Keep going and I'll survive on pannies 'til next season
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Ok I have seen it mentioned now like 4 times in the last few weeks... what is the unicorn?
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

The Unicorn? It took me two years to identify it off of radio chatter. Head south of Split Rock on the NY side, pass Ball Grabber and keep your eyes peeled. Once you see it, you'll feel stupid, like I did, but looking carefully you can't miss it! It's a Unicorn!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Here you Go......

Fish On!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Been Trollin past that double black puppy for more than a decade.. if you look close it’s made of 2 sheets of steel.. he even swings in the wind! It’s a converse trollers land mark just like the red canoe and bakers dock...
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did.... There is a Converse area lingo that is learned over time, and much of it is seasonal!! Heck... One of my best days ever was alongside Fat Head early spring, and it took me awhile to get him on the radio while he/we worked the canoe.