Anyone recognize this old school salmon fisherman

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Anyone recognize this old school salmon fisherman

Post by Reelax »

Ok......

1st to guess correct name gets an all expense paid trip on Reelax frostbite fishin...

Please reply with your entry to this post.

Fish on. We are launching at converse at 630am... :o
Attachments
Who dat
Who dat
B76F60C0-4BF1-4A60-B3EC-3751D24AEBAD.jpeg (149.93 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Matt B
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Re: Anyone recognize this old school salmon fisherman

Post by homewrecker »

Bill Mooney!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Ding... ding.... ding... we have a winner.. It’s Dr Bill Mooney Dentist from Colchester and old time salmon fisherman some on here may still remember. I see him from time to time as he install gold caps as a retirement investment for the wife.

Baaa haaaaa

Fish on!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I do not know Bill Mooney, but I find some resemblance to someone else we all know.
Is it just a coincidence?
Attachments
2 faces.png
2 faces.png (264.29 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

The good Doctor introduced HONEYBEES to Lake Champlain. He is certainly one of the best, if not the best, angler I have ever met!

Great place to say to Bill, THANKS AGAIN for all that you did for me! / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I'm a few days late to this game .. Next time! Raz may make a good Doppleganger, but he isn't working on my teeth! Jim - I don't know Dr. Bill, but "Best angler" sets a pretty high bar!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

TUnamas wrote:I'm a few days late to this game .. Next time! Raz may make a good Doppleganger, but he isn't working on my teeth! Jim - I don't know Dr. Bill, but "Best angler" sets a pretty high bar!
Tunamas:

Ask anybody who knows me, and you'll discover that I don't like to exaggerate!

Doc' attention to detail on and off the water, the way he applied scent, and then carefully washed all the lures at the end of the day, the number of his tournament wins and places on Champlain, his attention to water temperatures and nearby "heat sinks" that retained warmth and thereby warmed nearby waters, etc. etc. and that was all over 20(?) years ago ... yeah, in my book , one of the best ever./ Jim

P.S. I do feel extremely fortunate to have crossed the paths of a number of extremely good anglers.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:
TUnamas wrote:I'm a few days late to this game .. Next time! Raz may make a good Doppleganger, but he isn't working on my teeth! Jim - I don't know Dr. Bill, but "Best angler" sets a pretty high bar!
Tunamas:

Ask anybody who knows me, and you'll discover that I don't like to exaggerate!

Doc' attention to detail on and off the water, the way he applied scent, and then carefully washed all the lures at the end of the day, the number of his tournament wins and places on Champlain, his attention to water temperatures and nearby "heat sinks" that retained warmth and thereby warmed nearby waters, etc. etc. and that was all over 20(?) years ago ... yeah, in my book , one of the best ever./ Jim

P.S. I do feel extremely fortunate to have crossed the paths of a number of extremely good anglers.

He is actually my inside scoop, pointer, story teller, ringer. One of the reasons Reelax has done so well.. the whole time he works on my teeth, he tells me salmon stories of old... the insight and experience is amazing... still haven’t gotten him in the boat he is so busy... he was ruined by salt water fishing years ago... igfa 20lb line record holder for dorado on a fly in the 90’s...... 57 lbs I think... and spends his time looking for water fowl on the lake now....

Great guy, great fishin legend.
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Great stuff, and please understand I wasn't being disparaging of the Doc! Matt, the current IGFA 10 kg (22.4 lb) tippet fly caught record for dorado is 19.36 kg (42 lb 11 oz), caught in Piñas Bay, Panama in Decmeber 2003 by Ariel Kane. I don't chase records, but a group of old friends from California and I have a decade + old wager against a bunch of Aussie friends riding on the first century class Yellowfin Tuna on IGFA 10kg Fly standards. My best remains in second place at 96lbs (weighed on a boat so it wouldn't count), but no one has yet collected the pot. I hung the winner in Panama many years ago but lost her at the swim step after 4+ hours when the gaff pulled. IGFA standards make one very attentive to leader and tippet lengths, and promote good knot tying! If Doc was a fly record chaser, he knows his stuff!
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

TUnamas wrote:Great stuff, and please understand I wasn't being disparaging of the Doc! Matt, the current IGFA 10 kg (22.4 lb) tippet fly caught record for dorado is 19.36 kg (42 lb 11 oz), caught in Piñas Bay, Panama in Decmeber 2003 by Ariel Kane. I don't chase records, but a group of old friends from California and I have a decade + old wager against a bunch of Aussie friends riding on the first century class Yellowfin Tuna on IGFA 10kg Fly standards. My best remains in second place at 96lbs (weighed on a boat so it wouldn't count), but no one has yet collected the pot. I hung the winner in Panama many years ago but lost her at the swim step after 4+ hours when the gaff pulled. IGFA standards make one very attentive to leader and tippet lengths, and promote good knot tying! If Doc was a fly record chaser, he knows his stuff!

Not sure what your saying Scott, but I may have my numbers wrong (memory)... I have seen it posted in the record book in his office and seen the mount on the wall. He said it has since been broken, but it was a record holder a time of catch... It was listed in the IGFA book. He got it in Costa Rica.. Since that fish, he gave up salmon, said they didn't interest him anymore. ;(
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

All I was saying is that any IGFA record is a good one, but fly records especially reward skills like knot tying and attention to detail. Having IGFA recognize the record (whatever the actual number) is a huge accomplishment and it should be on his wall proudly! I'm sorry that saltwater tainted his love for landlocks, but saltwater is infectious.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote:I do not know Bill Mooney, but I find some resemblance to someone else we all know.
Is it just a coincidence?
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Dr. Bill got his start working with Dr. Susslin in St. Albans and his trademark is stamped inside my mouth. That was back in the 80's. We talked fishing back then, mostly fly fishing. I listened, he talked.