fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by troutcrazy »

I hope they have success reproducing! From what I understand, there is not much natural reproduction happening. It would be so great to have wild salmon swimming in the lake!

I've been reading theories that suggest that the alewifes are part of the problem-- they have an enzyme that breaks down thiamine and causes birth defects in salmon that eat them. But I'm not sure that's the whole picture. Because from reading more, it seems like most forage fish have the enzyme. Including smelt. Biologists in other states, where smelt are invasive, theorize that smelt are the problem.

Has anyone heard of confirmation that wild salmon have grown to maturity in Champlain? That would be awesome.

(Thiamine is a vitamin, and "thiaminase" is the enzyme that breaks it down.)
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:https://imgur.com/a/qHPOTcz not sure if this will work
got it jeff better than nothing at least everyone can see all of the salmon swimming at my feet going to try and go back and video them with my phone and camera.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice vid, so close to shore.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/28/2018 headed north this morning for some pheasant hunting since i picked up a box of remington express shot gun shells and some frostbite shore fishing. arrived at pheasant territory with wet snow falling and trees all white so i decided to fish ist. on my way i decided to try another spot where i havent been much this fall. the water has come up enough to cast so i started casting at 8:30 am . put on 3/8 ounce krocodile rainbow color to get it out as far as i can since this is whallons bay and shallow. 15 minutes there nothing moved north about 100 feet ist cast a bump and run then as i could see my kroc had a follower and it was a silver stopped my retreive quick and watched him hit it but from the side completely missed the hooks and he was gone. 1 more hit the next hour and i land a 17 inch laker . decided to head back pheasant hunting . walked a hedge row in a field to wet to go anywhere else saw a pheasant running pulled the gun up and didnt get a shot heard one flush right behind me turned and fired and got me a ringneck. decided it was enough as it was raining and i was wet.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/29/2018 had some bloodwork to get done today so i kind of fished hunted shopped and got my blood work done and home by noon then back fishing and hunting at 3 pm to 4:30 pm ran into trout crazy along the way. no fish one follow in about 1/2 hour saw 5 pheasants no shots there starting to get wild and smarten up. hoping for a better day tommorrow.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

We took a ride to camp and decided to go to Arnold’s Bay and throw out a bit from shore. Unfortunately, the time we arrived at 2:30, received no hits and saw no followers. Water was light chop and it was 40 degrees.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/30/2018 headed north this morning for some pheasant hunting and a little bit of shore fishing but the pheasant hunting didnt happen there was some deer hunters around that area so i let them be and glad i did. went to a laker spot to stay away from the spawning salmon in the shallows and did i get a brig surprise. anyhow 3rd cast a freight train hit on the copper kastmaster and fish on and i land a 29 inch laker that i kept for wayne. then in about ten minutes another freight train hit and i land a smaller laker released it to bite again. had some follows and no takers for the next half hour then a freight train hit and i land another laker. what happened in the next hour or less would take some time to explain. i had some salmon follows 3 to 6 at a time but no takers. so i decided to put on a silver prism kroc unorthodox because it was very cloudy and no wind. ist cast several salmon following but no takers so i went to my stop and go method to make them aggressive and wow oh wow did it ever. i felt something attacking my lure on the fall but a miss so next cast i threw it out onl 20 feet and when it hit the water several salmon busting water and attacking then my rod jerked forward but salmon came off. so i tossed it closer to me and the water started boiling and my rod was jerking like crazy and fish on i land a 18 inch male salmon kept for a freind. brought it up to my pickup and put it in the snow. took a little break to have a sandwich and went back down tossed it out and the water started boiling again with at least 4 salmon attacking and i could see more at the bottom in the 10 fow. my line went slack and fish in coming right at me with 3 still chasing the lure. got it in after a great fight and it was badly hooked and i had a hard time getting the hooks out so i decided not to chance it and would keep this 21 plus male salmon so there was my limit but i decided to try for more and went to the pickup and got a blue pearl trout casting honeybee with a single hook. went back down and ist little cast fish on again i land another salmon and released it to bite again. i forgot to mention the bigger male salmon sprayed milk all over me. well the next 2 little casts same thing again water boiling and fish on i land 2 more nice ones back to back. the last one spraying milk also. that was it for me i said fishy1 you got to leave them alone and let them fertilize the eggs . could still see about 15 salmon swimming near bottom when i left.

here is the 29 inch laker all 3 lakers were caught on copper kastmaster the salmon would only follow it.

ist salmon i landed 18 inchesImage
the 2nd 21 plus inch male salmon i kept notice the small fin on bottom near tail milk

silver prism krocodile

casting honeybee blue pearl trout
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

What a good day. Thanks for the detailed report with nice Pic's
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

Great report, Matt, and beautiful fish.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/1/2018 headed north this morning and would have a couple of guests to meet up with. arrived at whallons started fishing at 7:30 am waiting for a a guest . he arrived about 8 am we fished 1 hour and no hits . so we headed north to meet with another guest we got there around 9:30 am and my guest had a freind from out of the area with him and no hits they did sight fish some fish though. around 10 am i started casting with justin and jason and ryan left for some breaksfast. well it wasnt 15 minutes later salmon and more salmon swimming by busting water and following the shore lines. could not get them to attack at all. about 45 minutes later jason and ryan came back thats when we had some action i had a hit and soon after justin lost one. then i lost one and and then another in 10 minutes then nothing again . around 11:30 am i decided to head pheasant hunting and justin had things to do but jason and ryan stayed awhile and they lost one on a fly. lots of fun watching them even if we didnt land any. we all agreed on one thing all the shore lines up there have schooling salmon. going to get out in my angler 8 ist chance i get and sight fish the shore line as far as i can . i was 0 for 3 justin 0 for 1 not a good day . sometimes this happens when you have guests. :o :o :o :o
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/5/2018 headed up north for salmon this time since my guest my brother mike was joining me as they love to eat salmon. also another guest a neighbor joined us afte 8 am . wind was light at ist then picked up in the 27 degree temperature it was chilly. guides freezing up steady no pam so kept dunking our rod tips in water. slow start then a school of salmon showed up but were a tough bite. preston my neighbor the ist ot have a hit and a miss and also had a follow. they cam in and out so you had to pay attention. my brother was talking to me when he had a good hit and a miss. then i was talking and had 4 followers that i saw but to late as one hit my lure and i pulled it right out of its mouth 3 feet from my feet. the bite continued after a while but we just could not land them . i had 3 fighting for my lure hooked one busted water shook loose and another busting water after the lure our of the water and almost landed on my feet on shore. same thing happened to preston and it shook loose hard to land with only 4 feet of line out if that. my brother mike got really excited as a big salmon followed his cast in and it spooked. i was 0 for 5 preston 0 for 3 and mike 0 for 1 i think. preston stayed after we left so dont know if he ended with any. a fun day just got to love this sight fishing for salmon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/6/2018 headed back up north to target salmon again . got there at 8 am with 1 footers comeing in and instantly freezing on the shoreline with the temperature at 22 degrees. tried casting for awhile but it got worse and if i got a salmon didnt know how i could land it so i decided to leave and go pheasant hunting. walked a long hedge row nothing crossed to the ohter side walked back to the road and about 50 feet from the road i jumped a hen pheasant shot and missed. i think i shot underneath her ugh. well it was good seeing a hen anyhow ist one this year.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

12/15/2018 headed up north after taking a little time off. was supposed to be a nice day with light winds wrong again by 8:15 am had 3 footers coming in on me going to be tough landing them today.
jason would join me also with his girl freind and their baby. my ist cast on a blue prism krocodile had a hit and a miss. then jason showed up and the wind got worst so he didnt stay long since they had the baby after a 1 hour drive i decided to stay until 10:30 am and then go pheasant hunting. about 10:15 am after only having only 2 hits in 2 hours had a good hit and miss within 25 feet of me so i stopped and started jigging and almost instantly rod tip went down almost to the water fish on and a big one. now how am i going to land it because i was thinking it was tank all the way. every time i put pressure on he would just swim and head bob against the 3 foot waves. this went on for about 5 or 6 minutes i think and i had to go about 20 yards to my right to try and land it. then it seemed he was getting tired as i know i was started to put lots of pressure on it to get it in the calmer water around the corner was working fine until it decided to go right up on shore in the rocks slicing my line and taking my only blue prism kroc i own. ugh. it was definetly the laker eric and i named tank for his girth. put the rod in the pickup and went pheasant hunting. hope to get another crack at it soon.