Wounded salmon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Wounded salmon

Post by C-Hawk »

I guess other people are catching salmon like the wounded one I caught today. Can this really be a cormorant attack or an osprey talon? Another funny thing with the wind, today water temps were nearly the same top to 50 feet where I caught this one. Schools of smelt were deep today, and this one was loaded. Large Mooselook did the trick
Attachments
16200.jpeg
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Wounded salmon

Post by BottomDollar »

This one was caught last Sunday in Keeler Bay.
septageguy
Species: all

Post by septageguy »

Contrary to herons, which make only superficial seams from both body sides, the wounds caused by cormorants perforate skin as triangle shaped injury (due to the sharp and hook-like upper part of the beak) on one body side, whilst on the other side, scars and contusions are presented (Carss, 1990, see also Figures 1 and 2). ...

Any fish can be severely wounded by a cormorant. In this study, only Carp larger than 1000 g appeared to be completely safe.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

USFWS needs to allow a cull on them damn "black birds"!!! I beleive a few years ago they did on the great lakes as well as with black gulls in certain areas on the coast. We were in the Converse area a couple weeks ago and saw well over 500 of the damn things in a matter of a few hours.
A White
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

CHawk that is a Cormorant wound for sure
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

This was a 19 " fish. If they can damage that size, what are they doing to the stockers? Also, I don't want to be the first guy to complain about osprey, but we counted 25 nests that are visible along the sandbar. When we first started coming up every weekend 17 years ago we loved seeing and watching the birds feed their young in 3 nests, mostly on the powerline towers. I guess everyone has to eat and I do not know the effect on salmon populations, but they have to have an effect, especially this time of year when salmon can be seen cruising the surface. Not complaining, but difficult for biologists to account for when determining stocking numbers. Do they ever look in the nests and sample bone matter?
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

We caught one that looked a lot like yours, Laurentide, in Keeler's a couple of weeks ago. Large gash on it's back plus a slice down it's side further back. Figured it had to be an osprey to do that kind of damage, but maybe not.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I have seen Cormorants in Converse Bay push schools of Salmon that where 17 to 19 inches long out of the water against the shore Cormorants don't always hold onto the bigger fish but they cut the shit out of them and stocked fish from this year don't stand a chance when they go after them.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Those osprey on the sandbar causeway are sure well fed... each spring it’s the same, they have a field day on the salmon in the shallows...
Matt B