Nice read.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

septageguy wrote:Also, everyone needs to learn this:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Why-you-sho ... e-big-fish
This the reason that we are seeing a major improvements with the walley fishery in Quebec. They introduce a slot limit (I don't remember the exact inches) I don't measure because I got a board with marks so I just do it fast and back they goes when they are not withing the marks but I thinks it's something between 14 and 22" that you are allowed to keep all the others need to go back to grow and to spawn.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

andre dont think the slot limit would work here for the walleye fisherman because of the lci derbies and other tournaments. they also close the season here during the spawn which helps a bunch my opionion. like others have said coming from the walleye fisherman they are there and not many fisherman target eyes any more just like the smelt there making a big comeback but not many fishing for them in champlain they go elsewhere. down on this end of the lake i know a few that target eyes and they do well and practice slot limits and catch and release on there own. most here are in the market for selling pan fish now. i like this thread and we all can learn a little bit each time from it.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:
septageguy wrote:Also, everyone needs to learn this:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Why-you-sho ... e-big-fish
This the reason that we are seeing a major improvements with the walley fishery in Quebec. They introduce a slot limit (I don't remember the exact inches) I don't measure because I got a board with marks so I just do it fast and back they goes when they are not withing the marks but I thinks it's something between 14 and 22" that you are allowed to keep all the others need to go back to grow and to spawn.
I agree just this year I've seen a major improvement over last. Last year I couldn't get a slot fish no matter what. This year Im catching keepers at every outing and this 5 minutes away from my workplace. Here's an example, caught on Dec 27th in Brossard:

FYI Andre 37 - 53 cm works out to about 15-21 inches.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

nathan when i was out in wisconsin on business for my company i got to go walleye fishing close by in a river in wausau. they also have a slot limit cant remember exactly how it worked but they have it because walleyes are commercialized there. every restauraunt we went to had walleye nuggets or fillets on there menus. here in new york it is illegal to sell game fish. like many said champlain has more walleyes than everyone thinks and its a huge lake. as you know over last summer in a champlain tributary i did very well with the eyes. mostly small but still fun to catch in a river and good eating. only kept 9 or 10 to eat though. they ran from 13 inches to 17 mostly did catch some 20 inchers though. i also know of a freind who fished the vermont side in a tribuatary jigging out of a boat and landed 8 to 15 every time he went only kept 4 all spring to eat. im glad the slot limit is working for you up there im impressed with your pics but i dont think its needed here for now.
Wallyandre (Andre)

They introcuce a slot limit not because the species were at risk but because they were looking for a way to increase the catch per fisherman and to increase the reproduction. There is more and more good walleye fishermen better equipe; at 1st when they introduce that rule there was a lot of not happy guys but if you ask anybody now what they think about that rule? They ar more then happy and the catching rate is better and it's also easier to catch our limit of fish within the slot and the slot size is perfect eating size.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:They introcuce a slot limit not because the species were at risk but because they were looking for a way to increase the catch per fisherman and to increase the reproduction. There is more and more good walleye fishermen better equipe; at 1st when they introduce that rule there was a lot of not happy guys but if you ask anybody now what they think about that rule? They ar more then happy and the catching rate is better and it's also easier to catch our limit of fish within the slot and the slot size is perfect eating size.
i agree up there with the slot limit but dont think it will work here because of tournaments derbies and so on . they have a stocking program in ny for lots of waters. also if you would have read my prior post i caught walleyes 13 to 17 inches in a champlain and some in the 20,s 59 to be exact in the few times i went i averaged 8 a day in a few hours. so they must be reproducing.
Wallyandre (Andre)

There is also tournamnets up here and they now playing with time and weight.
There is always some solutions
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Post by Themug »

I would love to see a slot limit and/or possibly reducing the limit to one or two fish per person. If the tournaments have to remove the walleye category then so be it, I don't think it would negatively affect any tournament held on the lake. I've seen slot limits do wonderful things for other fisheries.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

The Connecticut River has a slot limit. Daily Limit is 4 no fish between 16 and 18 and only one can be over 18
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:The Connecticut River has a slot limit. Daily Limit is 4 no fish between 16 and 18 and only one can be over 18
lake champlain they have to be 18 inches to keep and 3 is the limit
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

it seems like were only talking about champlain here now. so maybe the slot limit would work but what would be a good start. the next thing how would it be enforced my opionion it wont be. limiting to 1 or 2 once again who is will enforce it. my opinion again noone. walleye are the # 1 fish for eating. we as fisherman need to practice catch and release and maybe do our own slot size the ones we keep. we have way to many regulations now that we cant keep up with all the ideas forum members are giving here are great and i wish more would get involved although i dont think there are that many walleye fisherman on here. also if you look at some of those that posted there are plenty of eyes in champlain.
grandpa2h
Species: salmon

Post by grandpa2h »

I LIKE CATCHING AND EATING MOST FISH.WHEN I CATCH MY MEALS WORTH AND I WISH TO KEEP FISHING I USE BARBLESS HOOKS IT MAKES I EASY TO EXTRACT AND IT IS BETTER FOR THE FISH. THESE BARBLESS HOOKS ARE MADE BY CRIMPING THE BARB WITH PLIERS
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i have been seeing some ads with canadian walleyes for sale here in vt and ny. are walleyes commercialized in all provinces in canada?
Wallyandre (Andre)

fishy1 wrote:i have been seeing some ads with canadian walleyes for sale here in vt and ny. are walleyes commercialized in all provinces in canada?
No, the only one I know is in Manitoba in lake Winnipeg if my memory is right