walleyes

lazycs

Re: walleyes

Post by lazycs »

grandpa2h wrote:IF SOMEHOW THE TWO STATES GOT TOGETHER ,PUT IN A PROGRAM TO RAISE MAYBE FEWER WALLEYES PUT KEPT THEM UNTIL THEY REACHED A SIZE (6 OR 7 INCHES)AND THEN STOCKED THE SURVIVAL RATE WOULD BE MUCH LARGER AND NATURAL REPRODUCTION COULD START TO CLIMB IT WOULD TAKE TIME BUT YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWERE.
Not sure if a lot of folks here have knowledge of LCWA but if it wasn't for these dedicated sportsman the walleye fishery wouldn't even be what it is today, still along way for what it once was, but this is a great org. to get involved in.

http://www.lcwalleye.org
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

lazycs wrote:
grandpa2h wrote:IF SOMEHOW THE TWO STATES GOT TOGETHER ,PUT IN A PROGRAM TO RAISE MAYBE FEWER WALLEYES PUT KEPT THEM UNTIL THEY REACHED A SIZE (6 OR 7 INCHES)AND THEN STOCKED THE SURVIVAL RATE WOULD BE MUCH LARGER AND NATURAL REPRODUCTION COULD START TO CLIMB IT WOULD TAKE TIME BUT YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWERE.
Not sure if a lot of folks here have knowledge of LCWA but if it wasn't for these dedicated sportsman the walleye fishery wouldn't even be what it is today, still along way for what it once was, but this is a great org. to get involved in.

http://www.lcwalleye.org
x2
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Thinking aloud, but would LCWA want to send a speaker to present at the Winter Workshop? I think they do have a good story to tell.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

The longer that I see insubstantial improvements to the walleye fishery, the more important the private sector becomes. If you want improvements in the walleye fishery, you must support LCWA, because it seems to me that both states have put all their eggs in one basket in favor of the cold water fishery. Like it or not, there is only so much money to go around. Is there even a cool water only biologist on staff in Vt?I know that over the years they have made some great breakthroughs at the hatcheries, but I haven't heard much about fieldwork. Too bad but I'm beginning to think that we can't have it both ways. Got to admire the guys that do well with them, and it seems me that it is all about which species you want to put your time into.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Chet MacKenzie is the biologist that covers walleye on the south end of the lake (Poultney river), and Bernie Pientka and Brian Chipman are the biologist that cover the Winooski and Missisquoi. There is major improvements on the walleye program that is going on at the Ed Weed Hatchery in Grand Isle. Their intensive walleye culture program really began to shine last year (year 6), and grew many fish to the fingerling stage ( 1.5"). It's tough grow the fish over this length because it's when they convert from eating algae and microorganisms to eating fish. Inturn this means they eat eachother, so the hatchery and biologist staff stock the fish in the lake to exploit their appetite on other small fish and minnows. It's the turning point of the program, it will take a while, but the fish are coming! Probably not to the numbers of the 60's and 70's, but the fish might go from rarely catching them to a common state.
The millions of fish that used to be stocked were unfed fry. From the marking studies that the biologist do, the results show that they just don't make it in todays lake. If you ever have a question don't be afraid to email or call a biologist. Don't call to complain, everybody is well aware that the numbers are not like they used to be in the 70's, but ask about what's going on with today's program. As for NY, they really need to pick up some slack!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Like I said, not enough money. Why did Chet pull funding for the annual baitfish sampling surveys?
Fish_Stalker
Species: any

Post by Fish_Stalker »

Last edited by Fish_Stalker on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish_Stalker
Species: any

Post by Fish_Stalker »

The fish are out there, and in some parts of the lake in very good numbers. Speaking from experience, over the past 10 years quality and quantity has only increased. Thanks to LCWA, VTFW and the lamprey program. I remember it wasn't too long ago the LCI had all they could do to fill 10 spots in the walleye category during the Fathers day derby.... Now there getting nearly 30 fish 25"+ every derby. I guarantee if you could round up all the dedicated walleye guys on LC, get them to talk (harder than you may think), they will all say the same thing.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i agree fish-stalker but like you said in parts of the lake. the walleyes are there and in good numbers the biggest thing i see in down here in the bridge area noone targets them anymore. i have heard of good catches of eyes by bass fisherman and perch fisherman catching them while not targeting them. some of the complaints from them not catching any small ones. one last note most of these caught were released. :D
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I remember a biologist telling us at a seminar 2 years ago there is more walleye out there than people realize. Very few people are targeting them. They also said (data shared) at the seminar they are learning that stocking the fish in the same watershed or location they took the eggs from and as a result now they are seeing a better survival rate. Encouraging news!
digitroll (ron)

Might be a good launching point to start a Walleye section like we did with the trout / salmon tactics. People would have a place to share best practices and some of their results. This might motivate folks to get out there and try it around sunset to midnight or early before sunrise for those early risers. With the fish out there it's motivation to get out and try it. It's a big lake and there is a lot of locations that are worth trying.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Might be a good launching point to start a Walleye section like we did with the trout / salmon tactics. People would have a place to share best practices and some of their results. This might motivate folks to get out there and try it around sunset to midnight or early before sunrise for those early risers. With the fish out there it's motivation to get out and try it. It's a big lake and there is a lot of locations that are worth trying.
x2
digitroll (ron)

I asked Ludo if he can create a Walleye category.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I know for a fact that there are more Walleye out there than people realize. The learning curve is way different than Salmon fishing for sure.
septageguy
Species: all

Post by septageguy »

Also, everyone needs to learn this:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Why-you-sho ... e-big-fish