walleyes

grandpa2h
Species: salmon

walleyes

Post by grandpa2h »

IN TALKING WITH SOME OLD T[ME FISHERMEN,THEY SAID HOW GOOD THR WALLEYE FISHING USED IO BE.WHAT HAPPENED? ARE THERE ANY WALLEYE HOT SPOTS LEFT?
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Re: walleyes

Post by DreamWeaver »

Hi granpa2h, back in late August I towed a boat back to the West Swanton boat ramp, as a thank-you the gentlemen fishermen aboard offered a walleye spot, they said that evening fishing around Cedar & Fish Bladder Islands (IS) was producing some walleyes. Can not confirm, didn't get the chance to try, but wanted to share it.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

Found this while researching on youtube.... GREAT NEWS.... let's hope....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZiDn3H-bI
grandpa2h
Species: salmon

Post by grandpa2h »

WONDERFUL,AS YOU SAID,LETS HOPE.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice documentary.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Most Walleye fisherman are very tight lipped about their fishing spots.
Can't say I blame them as most have worked very hard to find them.
All I will say is dusk or later in the Fall and Spring.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

DreamWeaver wrote:Found this while researching on youtube.... GREAT NEWS.... let's hope....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZiDn3H-bI
Dude's there with like 60 adult walleye and he's wondering why the fishery declined.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

That's a great video. But just like some one else mentioned, that's a lot of male walleye that were kept.
I have a few older friends I fish with, I listen to similar stories of them keeping the limit of everyone they could get in the boat.
That was common back then.
With the walleye coming back hopefully we can keep them.
High Plains Drifter
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Vtmopar wrote:That's a great video. But just like some one else mentioned, that's a lot of male walleye that were kept.
I have a few older friends I fish with, I listen to similar stories of them keeping the limit of everyone they could get in the boat.
Common then, correct .....what I witnessed last spring completely sickened me I watched a clown catch a limit of fish paddle his a$$ to his significant other, drop one in her boat catch another himself paddle off to his camp walk up bank and return for 3 more. Completely ignorant and it’s people like that which ruin it for everyone. Surprise for him this year I now have numbers in my phone to call for justice to the walleyes. I hope that individual reads this , your time will come
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Adkhare wrote:
Vtmopar wrote:That's a great video. But just like some one else mentioned, that's a lot of male walleye that were kept.
Common then, correct .....what I witnessed last spring completely sickened me I watched a clown catch a limit of fish paddle his a$$ to his significant other, drop one in her boat catch another himself paddle off to his camp walk up bank and return for 3 more. Completely ignorant and it’s people like that which ruin it for everyone. Surprise for him this year I now have numbers in my phone to call for justice to the walleyes. I hope that individual reads this , your time will come
x2
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

This is the general cosensus of why walleye are struggling to make a comeback. When the meat crowd gets into a school and get their limit, they call their brother to come out and hit the spot. They in turn call gramps and so on and on it goes until all the fish in that spot are gone. It is encouraging to hear of a few serious, tight lipped catch and release young guys that will be the future stewards of this fishery. I have no problem with a boat taking home a limit, and I would if I could catch one, but I would never freeze walleye. Once again, possesion limits should be the same as bag limit.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

I shifted from silver to gold this year..... And that is why I rarely post on here. Takes a lot of driving, experimenting, and getting skunked to learn what i know. 1 person sees you land 1 fish and before you know it, you've got a shadow for the rest of the day. And they WILL shoulder you trying to muscle you out of the way. Its 2017 now, people got no shame in their ways.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Registered Kayak wrote:I shifted from silver to gold this year..... And that is why I rarely post on here. Takes a lot of driving, experimenting, and getting skunked to learn what i know. 1 person sees you land 1 fish and before you know it, you've got a shadow for the rest of the day. And they WILL shoulder you trying to muscle you out of the way. Its 2017 now, people got no shame in their ways.
Mark that goes for ANY good fish (but especially walleye). A couple years ago I was trolling in May on the N.Y. side when all the rods went off at once. A boat was over taking us at the time. We got 3 out 4 salmon in while the boat sat and watched us. Next thing we know we had two boats in our prop wash and one on either side. Little did they know i had a "secret weapon" on that I know they couldn't match (even though 2 took binoculars out to see what we were using)and they had no idea how deep i was (another key element). We continued to pick up fish, they didn't and finally left after about of 1/2 mile of sitting on our laps. It's others greed that ruins many fishing days or spots and makes people tight lipped too. When I saw this original post I knew it was going to be a hard sell but a person new to the site i could see the reason for trying. I started fishing Champlain as a youngster back in the early 1960's before the salmon and trout were "king". We came for the walleye and crappies, spent most of our time fishing the south bay up to Port Henry. We did good, it was easy in those days but the lack of limits and the "market" fisherman did a number on both. Even after limits we established we saw Market guys in the south bay catching limits...most likely leaving to go to Whitehall to sell them and coming back only to do it over and over again. A call to ENCON my Dad made got a response of "were trying". I only hope walleyes do make a come back, but I think it will be a while unless more stocking by BOTH States occur (N.Y. is lacking for sure!!!).
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

im going to add my 2 cents to this now and will stick only to the walleye subject. back in the 60,s and 70s we caught our limit of eyes in the spring almost every day. but there was something going on in the walleyes spawning grounds like poachers going in and paddling the walleyes and then selling them both are illegal. that wasnt the worst thing to happen though then the white perch entered the lake and guess what they eat the eyes eggs. it was then that the walleye population started to fall in my opionion as i fished walleyes every spring for at least 50 years. in the late 80,s my wife and i were fishing with brown jigs in heavy weeds in 4 fow and guess what we were catching walleyes and not just a few now and then but our limit every time out we would keep 2 sometimes to eat but released most. fun to catch in the weeds and shallows. they were still here but not in large numbers like the 60,s and 70,s . down our way now very rarely anyone trolling for eyes in the spring now. the walleye association in vermont has really helped with the walleye population in the lake and i beleive its going to get better because of them but everyone needs to abide by the laws to preserve the delicious walleyes. one last note anyone trolling for walleyes with grabbers or even stickbaits have a hard time keeping there lines in the water with the huge schools of white perch. :(
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Like others who fished Champlain 35-40 years ago, I usually picked up a walleye or two trolling early evenings north/south from Sloop Island to Garden Island. One fish was enough for my wife and I and that was all I usually kept.

Overfishing has been discussed here and I know of many guys where I worked who stayed out most of the night and kept a lot of fish. And fishy1 just mentioned the arrival in the lake of white perch.

Just wondering if anyone has heard what VT or NY fisheries people attribute the downturn to?

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund