Converse Launch

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Heijac
Species: All

Converse Launch

Post by Heijac »

I know some of you are already aware, but just an update. I attempted to launch solo from Converse yesterday afternoon. Made it about 20 feet from the dock, and got stuck. Luckily, I didn't have to jump out cause there was a nice guy in a kayak right there, and he gave me a push back to the dock! This does not bode well for my november vacation!!! Supercab says he can still make it in his 16 footer, but any of you with larger boats like me are SOL

photo courtesy of Matt Trombley
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Re: Converse Launch

Post by drachma »

Ouch!!
I have two kayaks if anyone wants to do it that way.

Michael
Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

I too was at the Converse Bay launch today. It looks like a tidal flat when the tide is out. I'm not sure I want to try to go out especially solo. Also I'm not sure I want to pump all that silt through the cooling system. I will probably put the boat up early this year.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I can still get out, but ballast has to move forward in boat and the net is used to push if I get stuck. It's gotta be like 12" right now..... Ouch!
Matt B
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Think of all that mud, sand & ooze getting sucked up and thru the system. The higher the RPM's, the more she sucks. Not for me
Bill
"POINTER"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Does anybody know if the bottom is sand or is it muck , making it difficult or even dangerous for wading?
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

I think its fairly firm. The guy in the kayak had no problem walking around in it. Not sure how far out its like that though....
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nope...not worth it. I haven't launched there in two weeks when it was 20" My deep V with a 19 degree dead rise and a 25" transom isn't worth pushing it with the outboard all the way up or dragging it thru the mud with hip boots. Nice cutting thru waves with that big dead rise though instead of pounding. :)

2" of rain for next week: Sunday-Friday for the Weather Wunderground model. That would be awesome!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

that just sucks
mrwalleye

Post by mrwalleye »

This launch is pretty much unusable for the frostbite derby unless you use waders to walk out and you have a small boat. I'm having a hard time get out with my 16' flat bottom duck boat and that motor runs in very little water.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

16 miles from the bridge to the south and 16 miles out of Burlington. Mallett's is probably down to 25" of water this week in that channel near the Marina docks.

One option is moving the Shootout to a central location maybe out of Burlington?
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

change the date,lot of rain coming next week
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

fishingmachine wrote:change the date,lot of rain coming next week
I don't know if even a week of rain would do it. The water table is so low that wells are running dry and most of the rain will just get absorbed. We really need a huge snowfall season to get the lake back up in '17. Burlington is still usable, and Maple St launch could be overflow parking (it's moot for me 'cause I'll be working no matter the date).
sea-nile
Species: whatever swims

Post by sea-nile »

I rented a transient slip at point bay for October for my 22 foot islander and there are more available
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Great idea.

Get in the day before the Shootout and leave on Sunday. Gives a much larger window for weather travel.

TRANSIENT DOCKAGE-Daily:Per Day Per Ft 2.00
TRANSIENT DOCKAGE-Weekly: Per Ft Per Per Week 10.00
Fish On!