Lowrance Chirp not reading depth

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Jdavismmu
Species: Variety

Lowrance Chirp not reading depth

Post by Jdavismmu »

Hi everyone-just wondering if any of you that own a Lowrance CHIRP have had problems with it not reading depths from time to time? I had SABA install the unit to make sure I didn't screw it up. But from time to time, the depth will just blink 0.0. It seems to happen more in shallow water which i thought was simply a weed problem. But it will also do it occasionally in 100 FOW as well....I have tried adjusting the transducer as it is movable to some degree..still does it. Thoughts?
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: Lowrance Chirp not reading depth

Post by Wdrnr »

I have the non chirp Gen 2 system and have on occasion had the screen disrupt for a few seconds while showing no depth . It will reset itself without my intervention. I think it's the fabled prince of darkness that affects all electronics.
rondog
Species: all

Post by rondog »

Give Lowrence a call,best customer service Tec's going
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by jim »

Interesting you post this. I switched to lowrance chirp this summer and i get the same thing. Mostly in very shallow water or very deep if it changes fast. If i turn down the gain in shallow it some times works or if i switch to a standard non chirp of 105hz it sometimes does better. 105hz seems to work even better than chirp in fresh water. I have a TM150 transducer. If you learn anything please keep me in the loop its a bit annoying to loose depth in shallow water.. Never sure you will not run a ground.
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by jim »

here are a few items/suggestions i found at lowrance site.

* Losing depth in shallow water: It can sometimes be difficult for a high-powered unit to capture the lightning-fast return in shallow water. Turn off the automatic sensitivity setting and manually reduce the sensitivity until the unit locks onto the bottom.

* Losing bottom over weeds: When trolling over weed beds in 20ft of water or less, you may experience vertical bars, loss of the chart picture, or the digital depth. First, do a soft reset of the unit. Then go to the Full Sonar Chart screen. Press Menu and select Sonar Features. Now turn the Chart Manual Mode to On. This will leave everything in Automatic Mode except the depth. Now go back to the main menu and set the depth range for the depth you are in such as 0-20 feet.

* Losing depth when another sonar unit is on: If two or more sonar units using the same transducer frequency are operating at the same time, one or more of them may lose the depth reading to the interference. It is like two radio stations trying to both broadcast on 97.3FM. In shallow water, if the transducers are far enough apart, you may be able to operate them together. However, the deeper the water, the wider the beams spread out. When they cross each other, the interference occurs.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice find Jim. The reasons are logical.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I guess it can happen with any brand of fishfinder.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I have the same problem with my Elite 7,I solved it by using manual depth settings,nothing else I have tried seems to work.It will not work on auto depth
Laker Taker
Species: Lake trout, Salmon,

Post by Laker Taker »

I had the same problem with my Elite5 and I contacted Lowrance, they wanted my serial number which I gave them and they said my finder was 5 years old and that was too old to repair. I asked them to give me an estimate to repair it and they said there was nothing that they could do. I responded that maybe I should buy a Humminbird and they told me good luck. Unreal !! So, I now own a new Humminbird and love it.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

good reason to try a different brand,that is really bad customer service,I have had 2 Elite 7 's and I am not pleased with either one,they both have faults and $400 ain't cheap,I will never buy another Lowrance
cnmt237
Species: salmon,lakers.bass.pike,saltws

Post by cnmt237 »

I have an elite 5 which gave me false readings from time to time. Sent it back but Lowrance claimed there was nothing wrong with it. Moved it up to bow for shallow water fishing and replaced it with raymarine which also had to be returned because maps were pixilated. Repaired quickly and no further problems. I wouldnt buy Lowrance again.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I had 2 Humingbirds in 4 years die on me. I will never get one again. 1 Lowarence elite5 ,5 years now, in the elements, no problems.