NEW INFO ADDED Bad News "NO SEA LAMPREY CONTROL THIS YEAR"

Share info on fishing Champlain.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Bad News "NO SEA LAMPREY CONTROL THIS YEAR"

Post by raz »

fishmaster176 wrote:I didn't see the article. What were the reasons? I don't react to anything too fast. It usually ends badly.
I am the same way, however I just received a call back verifying it. And like Paul says, there will be a press release soon.
WE ALL NEED TO CALL IN THE MEANTIME!!!!

tamiron wrote:This is a travesty! Heed Captain Paul's advice !

MAKE THE CALL 1-802-828-3333
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

This is certainly out of the blue. What's the reasoning or science behind this? It takes years of research and study to determine the levels that work, but a quick stroke of the pen to overwrite it? Call has been made. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Paul.
________
Mike
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

i MADE THE CALL AND WAS INFORMED THAT THE governors office has not heard this from the F&G department and the nice lady said she didn't know where this is coming from,but they will post an explanation as soon as they fine out.

Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

NEW INFO ADDED Bad News "NO SEA LAMPREY CONTROL THIS YEAR"

Post by Captain Paul »

Re: Bad News "NO SEA LAMPREY CONTROL THIS YEAR

Lake Champlain International added 4 new photos.

48 mins ·

Statement Regarding Rumors about the Cessation of the Lake Champlain Fisheries Restoration Program

We have been fielding numerous messages, notes, and calls about the Shumlin Administration halting the highly regarded and successful sea lamprey control program, a vital tool in restoring native and endangered species throughout the Basin.

It appears there may be some validity to the rumor that there will be no treatment of Lake Champlain tributaries this year and even next year due to a change to Vermont-specific drinking water standards. We cannot confirm whether drinking water standards are being used as a ruse to allow lamprey control opponents to cash in on political favors. Only the Governor and Senator Patrick Leahy can answer that question. What we do know is the EPA standard for the chemical involved, TFM, is 300ppb. The Vermont standard had been 35ppb. It is now, without explanation nor supporting science, been moved to 3ppb, effectively halting the program.

LCI does not wholly support nor rule out the use of pesticides. Much like antibiotics for a sick child, we avoid wherever and whenever possible. However, we will not throw the baby out with the antibiotics. The native and endangered fisheries are sick with sea lamprey. It needs medicine, and any cessation in the program represents not only a huge ecological loss but millions in federal and state taxpayer dollars invested in the program. We are optimistic that once Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin and Senator Patrick Leahy are made aware of this bureaucratic misstep that the most successful fisheries restoration effort in the Nation will continue without any backsliding.

Let the Governor know his leadership is needed to ensure the ecological success of the effort and to protect the economic vitality of Champlain as a tourist destination. No one wants to swim in a lake infested with two-foot-long, snake-like, blood-sucking parasites. We are sure he would like to hear from you about how much this issue matters to you: 802.828.3333
Last edited by Captain Paul on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

They are saying Peter Shumlin hasn't changed position but he is in charge of Vt. Health Dept. and Vt. Dec remember always start at the top because shit run down hill
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Maybe we should go on the news and protest with sighs and bitch like everyone else does. The call is made!! :roll:
KEN K.
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

THE PHONE CALLS ARE WORKING BUT WE CANT STOP NOW THE GOVERNORS OFFICE HAS CALLED A FEW PEOPLE BACK BUT WITH OUT ANY REAL ANSWERS. THEY ARE SAYING THEY HAVE BEEN OVER RUN WITH CALLS ABOUT THIS SO WE HAVE THEM AT A SIMMER RIGHT NOW BUT MONDAY MORNING WE NEED TO MAKE THEM BOIL AGAIN EVERYONE MONDAY PLEASE CALL AGAIN AND TELL THEM WE WANT ANSWERS AND WE WANT LAMPREY CONTROL THIS FALL ON ALL 3 RIVERS THAT ARE SCHEDULED 1-802-828-3333 PUT THEM ON SPEED DIAL AND WHEN YOU ARE OUT FISHING EVERY TIME YOU CATCH A FISH CALL THEM UP EVERY TIME YOU CATCH A FISH WITH A LAMPREY CALL THEM 5 TIMES THE BALL IS IN OUR HAND AND WE NEED TO WIN THE GAME
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

This Press release from NY DEC in January

http://apps.cio.ny.gov/apps/mediaContac ... backButton

Seems pretty clear that the economic benefits are Huge.
Last edited by Surprise on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish On!
Captain Paul

Post by Captain Paul »

Thank you all for you're calls but we are not done yet . I have talked with several people and the belief is that this has some thing to do with favoritism in politic (Hard to Imagine) Hear is what I see new health department standard for TFM is 3.pppb which is ridiculous federal standard is 300.pppb but they are holding the permit up because TFM treatment could reach 1.8pppb which is still below the health departments new standard so I don't see an issue but some a**wholes in Montpelier think they should. This is not right and we need to let them know we do not plan on settling for any lees than the 3 River that are scheduled for this year Laplatte included USFW told me that they believe Laplatte will be responsible for 84% of the Lampreys coming out of these 3 Rivers. Laplatte has to get done and there is no reason that it shouldn't from what I can see. I believe this is politicians trying to gain votes with the tree hugger crowd. SO MONDAY WE NEED TO RING THERE PHONE OFF THE HOOK AND TELL THEM WE WANT ALL 3 RIVER DONE THIS YEAR ESPECIALLY LAPLATTE RIVER 1-802-828-3333
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Re: NEW INFO ADDED Bad News "NO SEA LAMPREY CONTROL THIS YEAR"

Post by voyager »

VPR had a story on this during today's news program. They also have a good story on their website.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/new-vermont ... ogram-head