Broken Pole

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
No Pressure
Species: Salmon

Broken Pole

Post by No Pressure »

Fished Datillios this past weekend. We had a ball. Caught quite a few nice lakers. We had one fish hit so hard it broke my 8 foot accudepth pole right in half. One of the only fish we lost. That has never happened to me before. I would really have liked to have seen that fish. :?
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Re: Broken Pole

Post by SUNFISH »

Someone didn't check the drag or if was a two piece the tip wasn't set in firmly? Still must have been a good fish. I'll be optimistic and hope that it was just a monster, unstoppable salmon!
Dick
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Monster fish, definitely. Lost fish always gain 30-50% in size anyway by rule and I would argue that a broken rod is worth at least a 75% gain in size!

Besides, how many rods have I donated to bowfin now? Not to mention, I remember someone trying to do his best to break an ugly stick hung up on the downrigger with a monster laker!

No Pressure- Not only did you get a good fishing day out of it, you've got a built in excuse to buy new fishing gear to boot! Cheers!
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Post by SUNFISH »

I understand that NHfishin4fun intenionally breaks rods so that he can buy new upgrades??
But I do agree that there is no better way to remember a monster fish than mount the remains of a shattered rod? Nothing worse than netting a 10 lb fish and finding that it only weighs 6 lbs.??
Dick
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

NHfishin4fun wrote:Monster fish, definitely. Lost fish always gain 30-50% in size anyway by rule and I would argue that a broken rod is worth at least a 75% gain in size!

:lol:
No Pressure
Species: Salmon

Post by No Pressure »

Weirdest thing was that after the rod broke it took drag for about 5 seconds before it popped off. I initially thought the drag was too tight as well. Better luck next time.
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Broken pole :lol: That hasn't happened to me, but there's a few I wish I'd seen...