GREAT Day on the water with Thorny, Phantom and my son Caleb

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

GREAT Day on the water with Thorny, Phantom and my son Caleb

Post by Ahhspray »

We got up early to get from the NEK to the southern part of the lake by 6am yesterday. Thorny and Phantom were waiting and ready to go ...and chomping at the bit I might add. Impressive to see how fast those guys get to work on the presentation. It's like a symphony on water. ...or maybe Jazz improv is a better comparison ...or a very skilled garage band?
The warmest water we found, 52, did NOT hold the fish and bait. By the time we found bait and fish, the water was about 48.
First fish - on and off. Second fish - on and off. We started our morning at 0-2. As I recall, those were the only two we didn't get in the boat. Things picked up fast. We finished 22-2 based on the "bean counter" but I'm pretty sure in the hustle and bustle we forgot at least a couple "beans" so I'm going to call it 24-2. 20 salmon, 4 lakers. Caleb caught the fish unless we had a double and then I got a rod. That happened more than once.

Caleb was putting on sunscreen when a rod fired so I got to pick it up. While I was bringing that one in, another rod went off. Caleb took it, a small salmon on the cheater. Just as Thorny was netting it, another fish broke the surface just behind the boat! We all saw it but couldn't find the rod it hit. Phantom was the one who figured out that it had hit the main lure on Caleb's rod. He had a DOUBLE on one rod!(I have the video but can't figure out how to upload it.) The small salmon hadn't pulled the fixed cheater down to the main lure and the action drew in another fish. Thorny cut the line on the salmon once it was in the boat and Caleb finished his fight with fish #2, a nice Laker. We kept a few and released most.

Already an experienced fisherman, Caleb boated many fish including the two below, a 32" 11lb Laker(freezer) and a 24" 5lb Salmon(released for next time). Both are Master Angler level for ADULTS! That Laker had an 11" Yellow Perch in its belly! Even that belly perch was master angler ...not sure what the rules are on that. :lol: Everything else had been feeding heavily on smelt with a few alewives thrown in. Mostly clean fish, only one had a real bad lamprey wound though some others had marks. We dispatched two lamprey that made it in the boat.
A few fish came off of two colors of lead on side planers, a couple fish came off of flatlines on the planers but most fish came on the cheaters with riggers down 25-50. Silver and Chartreuse was hot and so was black and purple. All spoons. I hope I didn't give away too much but gave enough for folks to have as much fun as we did. We learned A LOT, had FUN, which was the point, and caught a lot. What a great day and great memories! Huge THANKS to Thorny and his phenomenal auto-pilot, Phantom! ...I'm going to have to save up and get me one of THOSE! :D THANKS Thorny and Phantom!
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: GREAT Day on the water with Thorny, Phantom and my son Caleb

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Ted.
Looks like you had a beautiful day on the water.
Thorny is a great captain and person, always joyful and fun to be around.
Congrats to Caleb for bringing most of the fish.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

sounds like it was a blast. the kids smile says it all. when those salmon jump behind the boat and your looking for the right rod its on it gets to be a challenge and also hilarious. good job thorny putting them on fish.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

What part of the lake were you on?
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Ted,I for one had a blast watching Caleb reel in all those fish and what a fine young man you are Caleb. I would say that I'm cheaper than a autopilot but they are more accurate. Griz
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Ted and Caleb! It was our pleasure to have you on board.I hope the trip provided You and Caleb with the a solid foundation of fishing tactics that create an enjoyable fishing addiction. I thought of myself with my dad many times throughout the day yesterday as I watched Caleb get comfortable on the boat and learn to rig the spread. What a nice young man you are raising.

I just renewed my Captains Lisence this month,marking 5 years I have been running charters on Champlain. I was nervous at the beginning. Will I be able to catch fish for people? Will it still be fun? Will it take the enjoyment out of it? After 5 years? No skunks! More fun,enjoyment and fufillment than I ever dreamed I would have from this endeavor. The best part is the awesome class of people I have met like you and your son Caleb.

YOU ARE WELCOME!
Capt Thorny
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Thorny wrote: I just renewed my Captains Lisence this month,marking 5 years I have been running charters on Champlain. I was nervous at the beginning. Will I be able to catch fish for people? Will it still be fun? Will it take the enjoyment out of it? After 5 years? No skunks! More fun,enjoyment and fufillment than I ever dreamed I would have from this endeavor. The best part is the awesome class of people I have met like you and your son Caleb.
That's awesome, congratulations.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

So very cool. Congratulations to all of you. Well done!
Love these posts like this one!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Congratulations. Best of luck in the future.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Hi Jim
Our best spoon by far was a silver/chart MP6.An awesome spoon! An all time favorite!
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Thorny wrote:Ted and Caleb! It was our pleasure to have you on board.I hope the trip provided You and Caleb with the a solid foundation of fishing tactics that create an enjoyable fishing addiction. I thought of myself with my dad many times throughout the day yesterday as I watched Caleb get comfortable on the boat and learn to rig the spread. What a nice young man you are raising.

I just renewed my Captains Lisence this month,marking 5 years I have been running charters on Champlain. I was nervous at the beginning. Will I be able to catch fish for people? Will it still be fun? Will it take the enjoyment out of it? After 5 years? No skunks! More fun,enjoyment and fufillment than I ever dreamed I would have from this endeavor. The best part is the awesome class of people I have met like you and your son Caleb.
That's a great compliment! Thank you.

I took notes. Warm water fish, we have pretty dialed in, now we want to figure out the lakers and salmon. After I got to fish with Raz at the DYP, and now You and Phantom, you guys definitely showed us the light and headed us in the right direction. Caleb had a great time and loved learning to set the lines.

It's great that you were able to turn your passion into a business and not have it lose its luster. Its obvious you enjoy what you do and that rubs off on everyone. Caleb and I have spent the last couple evenings prepping our boat to fish better based on some of the ways you had your gear set up such as better rod storage and setting up retrieval lines for the downrigger cable. School can't be over soon enough I think.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

jimbow wrote:What part of the lake were you on?
Sent you a PM
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Phantom (griz) wrote:Ted,I for one had a blast watching Caleb reel in all those fish and what a fine young man you are Caleb. I would say that I'm cheaper than a autopilot but they are more accurate. Griz
Thank you for the compliment about Caleb. We are very proud of him.
"Cheaper"? Certainly more entertaining. We look forward to fishing with you again.
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

Thanks Ted. Great post .
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Happy young angler right there... congrats Caleb.
Matt B