Inland Sea in mid June?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
nhangler
Species: salmon

Inland Sea in mid June?

Post by nhangler »

Friends and I will be going up to Champlain in mid June. June 9-12 to be exact. Each year we go up and fish the Comverse Bay Area with great success but want to try something different. Targeting lakers and salmon. I have fished the inland sea before but was back in my bass fishing days 15+ years ago so my knowledge of the deaper water species up that way is lacking?

Not asking for spots and realize this is just before the LCI so get it if replies are limited. We don't fish the LCI and target the weekend prior every year just to fun fish. I release most of my catch but like to keep a couple for the camp grill. Just looking for what to expect if any differences between water clarity, temps, bait, etc.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Inland Sea in mid June?

Post by Reelax »

Personally I would stay at converse. the inland sea ain't what it used to be, and it has no lakers... The options at converse are endless...
Matt B
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I like fishing the IS, but for Bass, Walleye and Northern Pike. Last year, the water temps. stayed quite cold right into early June and we caught mostly small Salmon near the top. I agree with Reelax. There are a few in the 3-4 lb. range in the IS, but your chances are much better south of the Causeway.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Very true what Matt and Fred have said, however, it's not too bad of a run to acess the Broad Lake either way you go. Also I think you might see a few salmon caught in Mallets this spring.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

I almost hate to respond on this thread, because it has been my bailiwick for about 30 years and I am a bit possessive about it. There are a few places in the north end that you can still catch a good salmon, and the south end is rife with small salmon. There are a few lakers, but it isn't worth fishing for them, as they are few and far between. The occasional brownie will surprise you, though. Never caught any steelhead here (well, one, years ago) The trend is towards smallies and (for those that know how) a few walleyes. There is great fishing for some warm water species (OK, I'll give it up)..like giant carp; but you have to put in some time to find them. The salmon in the IS seem to me to be mostly young, but there are the occasional good ones. It looks like (and I don't have any substantiation on this) there might have been a significant die-off of the alewives this year, as there are hundreds of gulls working the remaining ice edge off of the causeway. This bodes well for the early season salmon and poorly for the very early season salmon. Last year (around Christmas), the fishing was red hot on juveniles - I think next year could be good on the IS, at least on the south end, but I'm headed south to the narrows for salmon, come DYP time. For what it's worth.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

We all hope that the action will pick up this year on the IS.

Sherry and I are planning to be out there Easter morning before heading over my Dad's for dinner. Ill report on how we do.
Black Ghost (Ken)
nhangler

Post by nhangler »

So how bad is the run from the gut in so hero to willisboro or some decent laker water then?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

If you mean the Gut at the tip of Grand Isle and North Hero, it would be a pretty good haul. I'm guessing around 18 miles. I run from the south end of South Hero , Mallets Bay, to Willsboro and I think it's around 13. But, you don't have to go to Willsboro to catch fish. If you can make it under the rt. 2 causeway bridge in mid June, as most of us still can, just cross through Mallets and the Fill and fish Stave and Providence Islands on the outside for steady laker action and the occasional large salmon. Not many salmon, but when you get one it will be decent, about a 15 minute run from the Apple Island launch ramp.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

The broad lake side of South Hero can be good for lakers, plus some salmon and browns. As C-Hawk said, just outside of Mallett's Bay around Providence and Stave can be very good. By boat that wouldn't be that far from the Gut ... around 9miles maybe, but it's all fishable.
nhangler

Post by nhangler »

Thanks all.

The gut is between south hero and north hero right? I stayed there many years a go and remember being able to go out either side (inland sea or the my side).

How much clearance is there under the route 2 bridge? I have a center console. No t top but do need some headroom to clear.

Finding rentals on Champlain with docks seems challenging. Would have stayed down in the converse Bay Area but no place to stay anymore.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Yes the gut is between the islands. Its water depth that might be an issue. By then 2-3 '?depends on rainfall but the lake is a little lower than normal for the time of year.
nhangler

Post by nhangler »

Ah, right. I was fishing there with my bass boat many years ago and wanted to go through. I remember a much more daring friend telling we we could not get through.That was late August I think.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

I think I am in need of a Lake Champlain maritime geography lesson. Is the Gut the pass between the north end of Grand Isle and the east side of North Hero or is it the pass between the west side of North Hero and the east side of South Alburgh?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

fishmaster176 wrote:I think I am in need of a Lake Champlain maritime geography lesson. Is the Gut the pass between the north end of Grand Isle and the east side of North Hero or is it the pass between the west side of North Hero and the east side of South Alburgh?
The Gut is between Grand Isle and North Hero where the drawbridge is. What you may be thinking of Fred, is called Alburg Passage .
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Thanks for the clarification.