Dipsy Divers

Share info on fishing Champlain.
liberty2
Species: lake trout/salmon

Dipsy Divers

Post by liberty2 »

Want to learn about using divers, such as dipsy divers. Never tried them. Need any info such as which sizes work best for the lake and basically how they are used. Appreciate any info.
Wellsley (Frank)

Re: Dipsy Divers

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

sizes are going to depend on how deep you want to go. My experience with the large ones had me change from mono to braid. (after losing equipment do to braking line) Had a lot success with the smaller ones for walleyes. I use more lead-core then dipsy's. I plan to try copper wire this summer and would like to try a slide diver some day but don't know much about them and have never seen them in use.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I use the big jon mini dipsy from fall turnover up into june. Works great ran down the chute or off a board. The slide diver lite bite is a great tool and we use them all summer long.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Google "lite bite slide diver" all you need for Champlain trolling. Long setbacks and light triggers are key to this valuable tool.

As a local charter capt likes to call on the vhf when they fire " slide diver slide diver!!!"
Matt B
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to research the slide divers right now. Also will check the mini dipsy. Thanks.
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

I agree with Reelax, Lite Bite is a key piece of the arsenal and essential for putting fish on the boat.
Slide Diver, Slide Diver, Slide Diver!!!!
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

I like to run the big Jon mini disc in the shallows if necessary. I like the small SlideDiver when targeting fish from 10 to 30 ft. As the lake warms I switch to Lite Bites to target fish to 60ft. In summer when fish drop below that,the lite bite can be adapted with the Ultimate Diving Kit to achieve depths over 100 if needed. I have stopped using Dipsey Divers on Champlain due to the heavy release point and leader length. Can't beat the versatility of the Slide Diver Line up!
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

Thanks Capt. You reaffirmed what I was thinking. Need both types in the boat. Thanks for the help.
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Lately I've been playing around with torpedo divers. An inline clip-on down rigger essentially. Another forum member enjoys them from his boat. I made the switch when I realized the slide divers had to much drag on my arm powered kayak. A fun tool for either reason.