Spring time like this impact on the browns?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Spring time like this impact on the browns?

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

A friend of mine fish last week-end in Oswego and Sodus Point and there is absolutly no stain water, clear water all around.

They caught a few fish but action was very slow.

Do you think we will need to go deep in April?

I'm starting to wonder if I will be going.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Spring time like this impact on the browns?

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Andre, you should go.

I am counting on you to tell me where the fish are when I go there late April. ;)
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Flashpoint
Species: trout/salmon/stripers

Post by Flashpoint »

Watch the reports out there Andre....some guys are killing them...others arent. With the lack of run off water temp from inflows will be more crtical in the early weeks. Hope for rain!!
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

In years past when the lack of snow and rain had an impact on the BT fishing you could count on the wind to help and a bit of local knowledge to make a dismal outcome turn into a great day. If ya have limited runoff and extremely high water temps for this time of year ya gotta play the wind. Yes you can chase the internet reports like most inexperienced people do, but ya gotta know where to go when it gets tough.
The wind can be your friend!! If ya get the right wind and the right wind means a day at the tackle shop!! the next day can be outstanding if conditions permit. Or option 2 If you get a nice wind say 2-4 footers blowing on a given shoreline giving you a chance to get out the wind does the work. It creates turbidity and fishing can be outstanding. If you choose the south shore the south wind hurts. If you choose the eastern shore a west, north or south can be great. North or west go left south or southwest or west or north go right or straight. From Mexico point. If it blows hard and you wanna fish go to Oswego harbor. Worst that can happen is you'll catch monster sheephead or an accidental walleye. When you see a good report look at the weather conditions and wave conditions and that will explain alot about why someone kills them one day and can't find a fish the next.

The action in the salmon river and area tributaries has been real good the creeks are high and dirty the big river is high 1800cfs but with a lack of snow melt its up to forty degrees. It might drop a few degrees with the coming cold weather but all in all its way ahead for this time of year. There taking eggs so wait 21 days and its gonna be a droppie fest. Don't dingle your finger in the water they be hungry.

Its warming fast but that will change next big blow. Good luck
COASTWATCH.com
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

Bigfish speaks the truth......I always pray for a big blow a day or two prior to my arrival..and if it flattens out for multiple days in a row, even during a normal spring, the fishing slows if you stay on shore.....you can play the run off game but that is where the concentration of boats will be if it clears, we push off shore abit...and play the rigger/diver game, the fish are still there, they are just in deeper water where they feel safe....we have had some fantastic days with a flat lake off shore...it takes a long time to warm that entire body of water up, a good blow and your back in business.....as Bigfish states, 2-4 footers is perfect, even 5 or 6's you can fish one way, chug back up, and do it again......that is very common for us in a "normal spring"...not that we have any of those anymore...ha. Just my 1.5 cents.....
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

My son went out fishing for his first time trolling for Browns on Thursday with his bass boat on Lake Ontario with limited trolling tackle and had a great day. He boated his first Brown ever flat lining with stick baits as dad suggested he try. He then caught the fever and he and his friend added a few more Browns to their catch.

Fishing for Browns seem to be hot right now on the Big O.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

That is great they were able to get into the brown action.....yes, spring is definitely a hot time for brownies on the shores of the Big O....and it doesn't take a "rigged boat" to catch them.....I have seen 14fters enjoying the spring action many many times....glad to hear they were able to hook up with a few...maybe he will trade in that bass blaster for a rigging boat......ha.....
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Some great contributions by Big and Just.
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

Example:: Yesterday it was 20-30 outta the north. Not the best wind but it improved the fishing today. And today was west 10-15 and it wasn't bad. Its gonna be a quick spring water is clear in the tribs and the salmon is going too 900 tonite.
Should be a good year for lead cores and drop weights
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

One thing for sure we are going to have a blast!
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Good luck Andre,
We are heading out the weekend of the 21st.
See you on the pond!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I'll be there week of 21st too.
It is my first experience on the big O.
Looking forward to see you there and learn.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)