LOST BEGINNER

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Re: LOST BEGINNER

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:it would be nice for all of us to get out and target the walleyes again down here. those were unforgetteable days for sure.
Yes it would be a blast.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

liberty2 wrote:Let's see, Jimmer already promised free pizza with a fishhawk. If I could only see it giving me just one piece of useful information, hey, I know, does it have a clock on it????? Ok, enough with the fishhawk, and this time I mean it....
Maybe you could use a fish hawk to check wind speed as it seems to be getting pretty windy down the Port Henry way.
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

C-Hawk wrote:
liberty2 wrote:Let's see, Jimmer already promised free pizza with a fishhawk. If I could only see it giving me just one piece of useful information, hey, I know, does it have a clock on it????? Ok, enough with the fishhawk, and this time I mean it....
Maybe you could use a fish hawk to check wind speed as it seems to be getting pretty windy down the Port Henry way.
LOL it sure is!!!! Just when ya think it's going to calm down a big gust comes along again. Heeeeheeee
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

not much wind here today and most of port henry to the bridge is ice free. going to warm up next week and stay there awhile from the recent long range weather reports.
liberty2
Species: lake trout/salmon

Post by liberty2 »

Another fishing tradition gone.. Remember spending days on the frozen lake in shanty town? How good did that food taste cooked out on the ice in the shanty? Some people may have even had a beer or two. Buckets of smelt. And more food. Fresh venison sausage in the frying pan. Wow, all those hours, years, I mentioned before fishing with Jimmer on the boats, now remembering all those long hours cooped up in those shanty's over the years. I have certainly assured my place in heaven....lol.
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

liberty2 wrote:Another fishing tradition gone.. Remember spending days on the frozen lake in shanty town? How good did that food taste cooked out on the ice in the shanty? Some people may have even had a beer or two. Buckets of smelt. And more food. Fresh venison sausage in the frying pan. Wow, all those hours, years, I mentioned before fishing with Jimmer on the boats, now remembering all those long hours cooped up in those shanty's over the years. I have certainly assured my place in heaven....lol.
Those were the days!!!!! The revenue that "shanty town" brought into Port Henry was remarkable and now gone. I never thought it would just disappear. It really changed some of our life styles during the winter for sure. I can smell that venison now!!!!! We had some pretty fancy shanty's also! Hopefully this trolling for Salmon/Trout will be as rewarding.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishing for salmon/trout on champlain will be rewarding as the fight is really exciting especially with the salmons acrobatics . steelheads browns and lakers all have a different fight of their own also. walleyes were great for the table but not much for the fight as compared to the trout/salmon . the smelt are making a comeback so time will tell maybe we will have shanty town back walleyes trollers back and the salmon/trout still here what a boom that would be for our area once again. it is possible. i for one would like to see that happening at least for our future fisherman.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

Yea, the salmon fishing will be ok, but unlike the shanty days, no place to cook... THAT'S IT!!! If there's a practical gadget for the boat it's got to be those boat ready b-b-q grills..... Now we're talking a worth while investment.... Who cares how deep they are, who cares how fast to troll, who cares about the water temp..... Burgers are done!!!...lol. Ahh, it's the little things in life...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

mike view the frostbite fleets post and pics. you will notice food and more food so you can still have food and more food on the boats. also lcu has a recipe section that i look at and try all the time. yum yum on boats and at home,
Targa V18

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:mike view the frostbite fleets post and pics. you will notice food and more food so you can still have food and more food on the boats. also lcu has a recipe section that i look at and try all the time. yum yum on boats and at home,
I can see Liberty2's boat now heading down the shoreline looking like a diesel with the smoke rollin' out of a modified smoker/grill.
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

All you can eat, and a day on the lake???? Kinda puts a tear in your eye, doesn't it???? Come on spring time.. I'm using the winter down time to practice up on that all you can eat thing.. Ok, hears a fishing question, how many of you guys are using stinger hooks? If so, what size and how far back? I'm hearing small, maybe #6, singles. Back in our bass fishing days, I would often run small trebles. Anyone running trebles?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Most guys use a single hook, 6 ok but 4 is good too. Treble hooks are too difficult to remove from small salmon without killing them.
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

Thanks C-Hawk. That's a good point about the trebles.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

C-Hawk wrote:Most guys use a single hook, 6 ok but 4 is good too. Treble hooks are too difficult to remove from small salmon without killing them.

Yes, single hooks work well. For whatever reason, a single hook with the slight offset will consistently snout or lip hook a salmon. Easy to remove without damage to the fish, plus less damage to the tackle as a bonus. When I was running some Great Lakes style (Northern Kings?) with trebles I had frequent tongue, throat, and gill hooks. I'd lay money on every one of those fish too short to keep just dying.
I've caught enough landlocks with the singles (and release them) with evidence of previously having been hooked in the upper snout. And healed. So obviously they live this way.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
liberty2

Post by liberty2 »

More helpful advice. Using the offset hooks makes sense. Thanks for that tip.