Boat collision on the Lake

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Boat collision on the Lake

Post by Reelax »

Free press article...

NORTH HERO — A Massachusetts man is in critical condition in a Vermont hospital after suffering a head injury when two bass fishing boats on Lake Champlain collided between Alburgh and North Hero.

State Police say the crash occurred on Wednesday morning when a boat being operated by 44-year-old James Collins III of Ludlow, Mass., collided with a vessel being operated by 39-year-old Alphonse Gambardella, of North Haven, Conn.

A passenger in the Collins boat, 64-year-old James Collins Jr. of Chicopee, Mass., was taken to Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington after he was hit by a trolling motor knocked loose during the crash. On Thursday he was listed in critical condition.

Police say Gambarella was thrown in the water by the impact. He was brought to shore by the Collins boat.
Matt B
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Re: Boat collision on the Lake

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

That's terrible!!! Must be more to this story??? pretty hard to not see another boat, especially of equal size...... Very sad indedd :(
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Very sad for sure. Here is a little longer story:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... pee_i.html

Terri
JK47
Species: All Species

Post by JK47 »

Very sad indeed.

Think of the force needed to shear a trolling motor from the bow of a boat. Crazy.

I'm a bit confused about the description of what happened when they say the front of the boat left the water. It sound like he saw the guy screaming at him and tried to drop the hammer to get out of the way? Wasn't there fairly heavy fog yesterday on the lake in the am?
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Horrible news. I certainly hope everyone fully recovers.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

This is a terrible thing for a couple of guys just wanting to wet a few lines. I hope everyone comes through in good shape.
Prayers go out to all involved.
Sugarpie
Species: All the ones that are hungry!

Post by Sugarpie »

How scary. I hope that everyone pulls through safely.
To fish or not to fish... NOT TO FISH??? Like that's even a question!!!!
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Hope everyone ends up OK.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Regardless of the fault, it was good to see that they looked out for each other by making sure everyone was back on board. Decency in the face of tragedy. Good folks in a bad situation.
edthehook
Species: SALMON

Post by edthehook »

It is amazing that such a tragedy can occur on such a large lake, and when fewer boats are on the water. Should be a reminder to all of us to stay alert
and be aware of what is going on around us. Not an easy thing to do when
concentrating on fishing -- but a must!
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I guess that is why they call them accidents and I don't think anybody meant or planned for this to happen. It could happen to almost anyone of us and especially at faster speeds where we don't have a lot of time to think and respond. But it should serve as a reminder for all of us. I am surprised that all occupants were not wearing PFDs... especially since most tournaments have it as a rule.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
vtbass
Species: Bass, Northern Pike, Muskie

Post by vtbass »

Every tournament I've been in requires PFDs to be worn during the tournament, but in the days leading up to the tournament when anglers are practicing, trying to find fish, I don't know if those rules apply. Either way, terrible accident, and I'm sure there must be more to it than what comes across in the papers. There always is. Sounds to me like neither boat was sure who was going to cross first, or give way, they both panicked, punched the throtlle to move out of the way, and hit each other instead.
Reel Delight (Walt)

No, you are correct VTbass that many of the tournaments don't require wearing of a PFD during non-tournament or pre-fishing days. Yet I found that most tournament guys seem to get in the habit of putting on the PFD as they get back in their seat as the get ready to move using the motor.

I know that my son won't start his engine until he and others in in his bass boat have their PFDs buckled. I am not sure if he would get into my cuddy cabin boat that has a top end of 32 mph and not wear a PFD. But then again a PFD may be the only thing that saved his life this past November when his USCG 41 footer capsized & rolled completly over, not once but twice. His safety 5 point harness and helmet did not save his life because the harness was ripped from the deck when his special aircraft style seat was ripped from the boats deck. His helmet was split into many pieces when he was ragged dolled against the deck. His unconsicous body was below the capsized coast guard roll-over boat and it was only God's blessings and his PFD that kept him from being lost in severe seas of Lake O.

My son has saved the lives of many boaters & especially fishermen during his past 8 years of service and we have heard some tragic stories from him. Yet, the day we rec'd the telephone call that he was rushed to the hospital with head injuries and they were not sure if he would make it... that is a day his mom and I will not forget. After hearing the complete story of how the accident happend with his Coast Guard rescue boat, it makes me think more of what can happened! I wear my PFD more now, maybe not daily but when I think there is a need anyway. In a bass boat or a speed boat... you bet I will wear my PFD!
Retired & ready to fish!
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Wow!! Fisheagle. Sometimes it's not the equipment, but the guardian angel telling you it's not your time. Sounds like your son was very fortunate and I hope he's okay today. The folks in the USCG don't get a lot of press, but they should. Tell your son "Thanks" for his service.
The PFD argument is the same as seatbelts. I choose to wear them and have found one that is an auto inflate that is non-invasive. It's still a choice for adults and they do work. The rest is up to the individual.
Reel Delight (Walt)

My son does have some kind of angel watching over him, thank God! That was his second accident (his 1st was in his car at age 16) that he rec'd a head injury. He is doing fine now and back serving but one doctor told him that she can see from all his medical history that he must be very careful. She said that if he ever suffers another good blow to his noggin that it could be his last. He said that last thing he remembered when he was in the water under the boat was a bright light. The next thing he saw was bright lights in the hospital trauma unit some hours later.

Now I don't always wear my PFD but will if I am out solo or if conditions are not so nice. I am no longer as brave or stupid as I was when I was much younger. I also don't feel less maucho if I do wear a PFD. Inflatables are really the ticket because you can really almost forget that you are wearing one.
Retired & ready to fish!