The last hunt of the year

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

The last hunt of the year

Post by Registered Kayak »

Thursday i will be going out to find the smelt eating monsters from either converse, shelburne (nothing but 15-18"ers), or try up in the IS for walleye. Will decide when i pick up the boat and how the wind feels. Just tied a few alewive patterns just in case.
Will hope to go out again on Sunday.
Will be nice to troll the split rock area with snow covered banks.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Re: The last hunt of the year

Post by Bearcat »

Take and post a few pictures of that awesome scenery (as well as some of any fish you catch, of course). Good luck!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I'd like to see one of your streamers too...you are doing well on them this year.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

sounds like a good plan . the scenery has to be beautiful there today especially in those ledges. cant wait to see the pics. good luck.
Registered Kayak

Made it down to converse bay on thursday morning, had some new tackle to try out. Made a couple flies the days before i wanted to try out. even made a tiny tandem using size 8 and 10 hook. tried out the 4" protroll flasher, homemade flasher, ad the the usual. My fishing buddy made an underwater housing for a go pro and we tested it out to 100' and up near garden island and split rock.
As per the usual for me down there, only 1 hit, and it was a big one, inside whalons bay and that was it for about 2 hours. felt like a pretty decent sized salmon but it got tangled into a port side slide diver :roll:
Moved back to picket island and started to mark some nice fish around 40' down.
Got into them there for a little while.
The brown was released, he was a football!! definitely not from Gillette stadium! :lol: he destroyed my fly, 1st time ive ever had my mylar tubing torn off.
i got 9 other salmon, under 18" and so did my partner.
I checked the video camera after the day was over here on the computer, and youll never guess what we got a whole minute of??
A disgusting lamprey attacking the camera. kept trying to latch onto the housing and the flasher. I wonder if there is some sort of yarn to snag their teeth and then meet with extreme prejudice on the surface? i wonder if we put fish skin on the housing if it would make them stay on for retrieval? i hate lamprey :evil:
Anyhow, it sure was nice down there. washed off the boat thoroughly after all the road salt.

Registered Kayak

ImageImage
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice pix mark...good job overall...keep it up!
Registered Kayak

Thanks Jim, hope all is well.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report Mark.
Great way to end the year with a nice day on the water, multiple tight lines, and a nice fat brown.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Thats a fat brownie. Hope 2016 bring on many more!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

great job and great pics to mark. glad you had a great day on the water again. i think you might be able to get out again supposed to get back up near 40 on wednesday.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I would love to see that gopro video... That's a good idea about a lamprey trap while trolling. Imagine if we could dispatch 2-5 lamprey every time we pull up a canon ball. Like a gar , I bet a rope fly would snag teeth if they tried to latch onto it.

Imagine if every troller ran a trap and killed 20 adult lamprey every day out...
Registered Kayak

Reelax wrote:I would love to see that gopro video... That's a good idea about a lamprey trap while trolling. Imagine if we could dispatch 2-5 lamprey every time we pull up a canon ball. Like a gar , I bet a rope fly would snag teeth if they tried to latch onto it.

Imagine if every troller ran a trap and killed 20 adult lamprey every day out...
I have been even thinking about keeping a frog gig in the boat, we see them on the lower unit from time to time. Just cant for get the baseball bat to accompany the spear.
Im going to look up some info on this.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

mark keep us in the loop on this. maybe we can all help with the lamprey control.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Great fish, great scenery. Post that lamprey video!