Is September a good time.

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Sawyer
Species: All

Is September a good time.

Post by Sawyer »

I was talking to a friend today about a trip to LO neather of us has been so my question is would September be a good month to go?
bigfish
Species: salmon

Re: Is September a good time.

Post by bigfish »

Go the first 2 weeks after labor and you’ll be fine. If it rains a lot. Big numbers will hit the river early
You can fish tight early n move out once the sun comes up.
Run green glow j-plugs or glow spoons early.
Move deeper and run pro-trolls and flies. Longer leader with the flies 24-30 inches. Try glow TG , or the pole dancer fly
8” or 11” attractors if you use the 11” run 34-40” learners to the flys
Bloody nose bullet with a Mountain Dew ladder back in the bright sun.
Should be a good starting point
Don’t get caught up in fishing temp. Staging kings don’t really care.
Flat line a j-plug in the evening. With of the two plugs mention
Lots of glow once the sun hits the water ( sunset). Glow attractor/ glow fly. I would try an frog glow attractor n a glow green crinkle Howie fly or any good glow Atomik
Tight lines
Ps. Stay near the salmon river or little salmon river.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Big Thanks Bigfish. I will have more quistions if we get to go. Thanks again
Don
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Don,

I've been going out to Lake O with a friend during Labor day week for the last couple of years and we've done really well. We didn't really fish right in front of the river much, but did catch a couple right at the mouth of the Salmon River long-lining spoons or j-plugs. But this is "war zone" fishing in tight quarters with lots of boats trying to fish the same water. We only tried it before light in the morning or at last light in the evening a couple of times if there wasn't much traffic.

Most of our fish have been caught by finding the temperature and the pods of fish that are staging up for the next run to the river. Almost entirely on something green .... green flasher / fly or green flasher / green meat rig. Last year the river was already full of fish when we got there around Labor day. This meant that there were fewer fish in the lake and we had to work to find them. It was a wild week with lots of thunderstorms, high winds, etc. Even saw a waterspout, rescued a boat that died in front the Salmon River in 6 footers that was heading for the rocky shore, rebuilt the water pump for the kicker in the ACE hardware parking lot, all kinds of fun stuff happened that week! But we caught fish every time we could get on the water. With the weather changes, the temperature would move every day. Could fish in 70' one day and have to go out to 120' the next.

My feeling is that the earlier you go in Sept the better. You run the risk of having all the fish run the river on you if you wait too late. Good luck!!
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

We went the week after Labor Day one year and had a hard time. Plenty of fish and fishermen in shallow but had a hard time getting them to go. We caught fish everyday but not the numbers we caught previous years. The fish we did catch were ugly black. Looking back on it a cool part was alot of porpoising fish. Good luck, hope you catch a bunch. Matt