Blackened Perch Fillets

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Blackened Perch Fillets

Post by Surprise »

I did this recipe with some nice perch taken.

Here is the spice mix recipe:

1 TBS Chili Powder
1 TBS Paprika
1 TBS Cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 lbs perch fillets
2 TBS olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced

Combine spices and dump the mixture over the perch fillets. Set aside and marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Arrange the fillets in a single layer and cook 2 minutes. Flip and and stir in the minced garlic the last 30 seconds.

Makes great Tacos with avocado, lime and fixings if they make it that far,, :D
Fish On!
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: Blackened Perch Fillets

Post by dry net »

Sounds awesome !
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Randy - I still cherish a recipe for smoked salmon dip that you posted several (ok, many) years ago. I've made adjustments, but it has become a Christmas season hit that started small and grown into a wider distribution list each year. This one too looks like a keeper. Anything that ends in "fish tacos" works in our house, and while I keep only a few salmon and lakers each year from the lake, panfish could be a good diversion. Lately, I've been using them as bowfin bait, and it has been astonishing to me to see how the bowfin's preference for panfish has evolved throughout the season. Early, they liked yellow perch, then as the water warmed they wanted crappie. Now they are focused in bluegill, and yellow perch go unmolested. It looks like I will become more selfish and keeping a few more fillets. FISH ON!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Hey Scott,
I think that was a recipe on the old forum.
Anyhow have a look at the one above and see if it is it.
We still make this simple yet great spread and it gets gobbled up each time..
Fish On!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Randy - That might have been it, but I think your proportions are light and ours has morphed a bit! We usually make batches with 3.5 lbs of smoked salmon at a time, buy cream cheese (lowfat) by the box, use a bit more dill and herbs and an occasional whisky shot or two. We line the buttered bowls with bread crumbs (or crushed crackers or corn flakes) before filling them, and add more on top. We bake ours too, which helps spread the flavors and we have guests that prefer the spread warm. I've been gathering small "gift" bowls over the years, and usually distribute about 20 each season, keeping another half dozen larger bowls at home for family, friends and Christmas Eve. Before my secretary moved west, she used to want just the smoked salmon without all the mixings, so I always had a nice smoked fillet for her on a presentation cutting-board too! It's a process... smoking the fish one weekend and mixing the next, but it's a good December tradition. I think LCU members could put together one heck of a fish cookbook!!