Roadkill Cottontail Rabbit Cassolet

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Roadkill Cottontail Rabbit Cassolet

Post by Surprise »

In today's World of "Locally Sourced" We enjoy "Tarmac to Table" Dining when we can. ;)

Well having been gifted a cottontail by an unknown driver ahead of me on Plank Rd due to death by Firestone. I figured hey a nice cassolet would be welcome lunch fare on Surprise.

So came up with this:

Clean and quarter rabbit cutting off rib cage.
Add to a food processor 1-1/2 cups fresh Parsley, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup each of fresh Rosemary & Thyme leaves. Add 1/4 cup olive oil.
Blend to a smooth paste. Add some salt and pepper. Add cut up rabbit and mixture to a 1 gallon ziplok and let marinate overnite in refrigerator

Preheat oven to 325 deg
Chop a medium onion. Heat on stove a oven proof braising pan over medium heat add 1 TBS oil and onion. Saute a minute or two, add cut up rabbit with bag contents. Heat 3-4 minutes stirring to slightly brown meat.

Add 1-28 oz can of good plum tomatoes with juice, 3 cups of white wine and about a quart of good chicken stock. Break tomatoes with a spoon. Cook in oven uncovered 2-3 hours until juice reduces and meat becomes tender.
Drain and rinse a large can of white beans add to dish. Adjust seasoning, I added a bit of chicken boullion and bit of dried thyme. I also adjusted the liquid consistency with about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs that dissolved into the juice. Put it into the refrigerator overnite to allow the flavors to meld together.

served to Dave & Peter then Ron and I killed it the next day. Enjoy!
Last edited by Surprise on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fish On!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Roadkill Cottontail Rabbit Cassolet

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Yummy... and only available on SURPRISE
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)