Lake Trout

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

OK folks, I'm going to try it. I have thrown enough Lakers back because people tell me they are not very good to eat but I decided I'm going to try it for myself. I filleted it and have found a few recipes online for grilling. I decided to tap into the LCU knowledge bank and see what others have found. If anyone has a good recipie or a link to one, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: Lake Trout

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Del Gue I have found the 2 to 5 lb fish the best to eat!!! Deep fried with flour eggwash and crackermeal is pretty hard to beat!!! Using peanut oil makes it even better!!! No skin!! Oh and dont believe that they dont taste good cooked this way there great!!! Sleeps
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks Sleeps, I will have to keep that one in my back pocket. I had a strong desire to grill one and found a few recipes online. I tried this one tonight and it was great! Fish was flakey and the flavor perfect. I have heard Lakers have a strong oily taste to them. Not the case with this one. I highly recommend it.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/4 ... 0532.shtml
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

I have a guy who brings in smoked laker all the time. It's not that bad.
tiny

Post by tiny »

My wife and I both love lake trout and I usually cook them on the grill in a foil packet:
Place 1 fillet skin down on a large piece of foil
brush fish with a mixture of butter, salt, pepper, herbs (usually dill or thyme), and splash of white wine
Place a few lemon slices over the fish
fold the foil over the fish and roll the edges so it is well sealed and tented with an inch or so of air above the fish
Grill on medium high for ~8-10 minutes if it's a 2lb fillet.
The fish should flake easily and be a nice white color.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

I was told once by an old fishing friend of mine a recipe for lakers.
One fillet laker
butter
lemon
salt and pepper to taste
peice of tar paper

Preheat oven to 400, place ingredients into tar paper and cook 25 mins-half hr. One the lake trout flakes easily, throw away the laker and eat the tar paper!

Since that recipie I have experimented with lake trout, The smaller ones are the best in my opinion (2-5 lbrs as mentioned above).

My favorite is fillet the fish, place on tinfoil on the grill skin side down, smother the top with sweet baby rays bbq sauce, and cook on med heat for 10-15 mins depending on size of fish. Charcoal is the way to go though! Get a good bed of coals going, put a couple chunks of apple wood or hickory and let the smoke work its magic!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

My last recipe for lakes:

- one fillet of lakers in a paper of foil
- butter
- spices
- Maple Sirup (don't be shy)

enjoy :)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

As already stated here, the smaller lakers are better than the bigger ones. Also, I find lakers taken early season suspended in the cold water are better than the deep fish that get lethargic on the bottom mid summer. Finally, I find that lakers don't keep as well as some other fish and are best eaten fresh the day caught, or smoked. They don't freeze well if you plan to grill them, but frozen fillets smoke just fine, and the fillets won't keep even a day or two in the refrigerator without getting mushy. A mixture of brown sugar, maple syrup, fresh ground ginger, crushed garlic, pineapple juice, scallions, (red pepper flakes optional) and a dash of soy usually gets good reviews off the grill at our house.
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Tunamas: do you bleed your trouts ? (http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... ?f=3&t=675)
GMD52
Species: salmon, trout

Post by GMD52 »

I'm not sure how he does it, but my brother-in-law in Montana catches slews of lakers , and he puts them up just as you would in canning you venison, and when served with crackers, and a cold beer is the best. I'll find out the specific's.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I have eaten a lot of Lake Trout the Number one thing with them is to bring lots of ice with you well you are fishing live wells are no good this time of year Lakers or Salmon will die in a short period of time then they are sitting in 70 plus degree water and they spoil QUICK with that said my favorite recipe is to fillet and skin cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces bread with Golden Dip fish fry and pan fry they day they are caught something about Lake Trout after it sets for a day it doesn't have the same texture. Another way I like it is take small lake trout around 2 to 3 lbs. gut and take head off place directly on grill and cook for 10 to 15 minutes preside when done the bone will come out just like a brook trout and the skin will peel off easy season to taste by placing directly on grill the oil from the Lake Trout will create lots of smoke witch give it a different taste. Lake trout also Smokes really good I use 1 cup of canning salt to 3 cups of brown sugar and any others spice you desire rub into fish and let sit for 5 to 6 hours then rinse do not brine over 6 hours or it will be to salty place in smoker with Corn Cobs and smoke for 3 to four hours on low heat