2011 LCI aboard Reelax

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

2011 LCI aboard Reelax

Post by Reelax »

Again this year I had the chance to fish the LCI derby with my lucky fishing partner, Theresa... Theresa hasn't been out much this year so far, but she more than made up for it this weekend...

We started out of Converse Sat morning, with much of the fleet on the water, it was going to be a fun day... 8-)

Good 'ol Instigator..

Crazy Ivan and Fat Head.. (CI putting on a school for the young guns)

There was good action in the Split rock area both inside and outside Whalon's. The Salmon were active and I think we boated
17 Salmon, 11 lakers by late afternoon. Here is a shot at one of the run of the mill Salmon...
He hit 14ft down on a rigger, with this lure, that worked well all day;

On day #2 we arrived at Converse at 5am to find the water quite angry.. It started with 2 foot rollers, but blew up to nice 3+ seas with white caps for the rest of the morning... We toughed it out with the rest of the fleet in the split rock area... In between Split and Thompson's we have a fish hit the air right off the cheater at 7 ft down... Theresa jumps on the rod (she doesn't miss a hard release!) The fish hits the air again with a 4 ft high leap and game is on... After a fun few minutes I slip the net under Theresa's 1st ever Lake Champlain Steelhead, and a master angler qualifying 23" to boot! (weighed around 4.8 on berkley digitals)

This fish hit a CrazyIvan "autopilot" on a cheater.. (thanks for the great lure design DragonBalls!)

Brought this guy home for some fillets, and when opened up, found one large Alewife, and lots of black bugs... Hmm....

All in all day 2 was fun, but bumpy.. We finished with 11 Salmon, 7 lakers and 1 Nice chunk of steel for the box!

On day #3 we decided to hit the Inland Sea for a change of pace and location... Trolled the morning around Eagle Mountain and learned why there were so few boats out there.. Got 2 dry releases in 3hrs of trying...

Did get to see some fellow forum members working the Sea like
Kingfisher and Crew....

Picked and ran to the the main lake
out side Stave Island for a change in scenery...

Hit some lakers and then the action began....

At about 140ftof water the rigger fires and starts screeming... Theresa recognizes a good fish is on it quick...
This fish was heavy, but stayed down...
But didn't feel like a laker..
He let her bring him all the way to the boat.
I saw him before he decided to run...
Flash...! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D
2 min later, T has him back to the boat and asks for the net..
I smile, knowing this pig aint done with her yet...
Flash..!!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D
Off he goes again....
(water so clear in the main lake here we can see him approach and then wave good buy each time)

1.5 min later, again... Flash..!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D

The look on T's face now is getting a little weary, but the smile is breaking thru easily...

Finally I slip the net under a Master Angler qualifier personal best Land Locked for the happy wife.. ::)

This guy hit a Honey Bee MP6 in fire tiger.. One of Raz's favs!

I need to mention at this point we have had 2 other rods fire during this battle...
I take the 1st one and the fish immediatly sky rockets out of the
water about 150ft back! Matt's 1st Steelie of '11 on!
Yee ha....
Luckily this guy is a little tired from the draggin and only jumps 2x and we net him for a quick pic...

Then Theresa pulls in the 3rd fish, a laker around 4lbs... So we had tripples on that ended up being a SLAM!

One HOT lure that fired all weekend for us and deserves mention is this little #1 Honey Bee....
(clic pic for better view and sounds effects from my 2 stroke) ;D

Around 3pm on Monday, after about 35hrs of fishing we decided to call it...

Day 3 was slower up north with only 3 salmon, 7 lakers, and 1 Steelhead...

This totaled 31 salmon, 25 lakers, and 2 steelhead for us this LCI...
The weather permited us to have a great time and these memories will last a lifetime...

Fishon!