Converse 8/14/10

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Converse 8/14/10

Post by Reelax »

On Saturday 8/14 the weather forecast looked borderline with 10-20 mph winds out of the South. I haven't been out in over a week and this was the day Theresa and I could get the time
so we decided to head to Converse, and hope for the best...

When we arrived around 8:30am, we headed to the south inside the Island toward Thompson's, seeing as the broad lake had some major whitecaps on it. We setup on the drop coming out of the bay and stayed close to the shore headed out to the point, marked fish between 40 and 100 on and off till we got to the point. After turning toward Gardeners with the wind, we picked up a couple of shakers, although one was pushing 15", not what we were looking for.

At this point the lake looks like it has settled some, and I sell Theresa on a story that Whelans will be like glass... We pull up rods when we get North of Converse bay and head over to the NY side.

After picking up another couple of small salmon in the bay we make the pass up to split rock point. Had a nice release with drag puling, and Theresa takes the rod... After a min of fight, the fish spits the hook clean and the excitement is over...

Once we round the point, and head south toward the light house, we start marking better bait and game fish, mostly between 45-60fow, and many more around 145ft... (over 200-350fow) As we are passing below the Unicorn, we pass a very happy EarlyBird, who had just finished a fight with a nice Rainbow just north of the Snakes Den. On our pass by we really mark some nice bait in the hole, but can't entice a release.

Lots of Boat traffic as usual along the NewYork shoreline, some older and larger than normal...

(We have been swapping lures all morning, speedy shiners, michigan stingers, hot items, various honey bee's and Some others Running a 1 rigger (clean) and 3 slide diver combo back 40-50ft.... Rigger running between 45-60 and the slide divers with 140-180ft of line out, set to 3 on sides and one in middle set to 0. Running 2.4-3.1 on GPS depending on current)

Inside the Snakes Den we pick up another couple of small salmon, they seem to be hitting the
Rainbow Michigan stinger best.... (If you want shakers;)

Theresa sporting her good luck Dockside shirt, in the snakes Den....

Turning the corner south out of the snakes den, I pull a bone head move and cut too far
South too early... Bottom goes from 150ft to 50 in about 10 yards of trolling.....After a fun
fire drill, we get the ball and lines up with no major damage...

Then as we are passing in front of the Palisades, the rod with the lure Gerry gave me (Green and Orange custom Gold MP6- "flyin pig lure") fires.... Theresa, even though she knows this is a good fish, gives it to me...(she is great!) After a few minutes of bliss, I make a comical attempt to hold rod, net, and perform inaccurate fish species identification in the heat of battle all at once while Theresa catches a quick video, while tryin to keep the boat straight... I wasn't going to post it, but I have NO pride... And love the humor on this forum.....and want to do what I can to add to it.... Notice the high level of species recognition skills, and the lovely stretch netting technique.... (you won't be seein this stuff on any out door shows soon ;D ;D)

This girl is 21" and went 4lb 14oz on the Berkey digitals, she was full eggs, and had NO food in her stomach.
Cut her gills, so had to bring her home for the grill...
After we boat the fish, we see there is another rod released and it has a small salmon on. Before we are able to boat that fish, the center diver fires and starts to rip line, then goes dead... After pulling in the diver, the leader is found broken, just below the main line. Not sure what that was but he broke 10lb leader, with the drag set to diver weight. We turned to make pass #2, but
Nothing released... By this time, it was 3pm and the lake was blowing up pretty good. We decided to call it a day and head back...

Once we got the boat on the trailer, we had the Pleasure of getting to meet Reggie "Instigator" at the dock with this wife. It's always nice to meet another forum member, especially with a good day on the water to talk about..... What a great lake we have...

Tight Lines all!