We Mastered 'Em!!!

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

We Mastered 'Em!!!

Post by raz »

White Perch that is. :cry:

Ben and I fished the Inland Sea aboard the Kodiak to see if we could find a bunch of silvers that wanted to play yesterday.

Malletts Bay was muddy and full of debris from the effects of Irene on the Lamoille. Mud and debris was flowing hard North thru the bridge and we had to avoid fishing the west side.

We set up trolling off the beach in 70ish fow to to see if any silvers were up in skinnier water since the storm cooled things off a bit. Nope, no silvers but plenty of white perch.

We turned back west, got in front of the bridge, and turned north to head out toward Cedar when my slide diver fired. Hard.
Head shaking and staying deep I had high hopes of a brown...then near the boat we see gold...
or bronze.
Great fight but not what we'd hoped for.
A strong, hard fighting, 16" small-mouth suspended over deep water gets returned.

Trolling along the north eastern corner of Cedar, Ben gets release that doesn't look like a white perch. Behind the boat the surface breaks and a short silver is on! After a gazillion whites, finally a silver shows. Although short, our hopes are rekindled!

Not long after, Ben does it again! This time a nicer silver!
Strong, clean healthy, 18 incher full of energy...released without a pic.
We weren't surprised when we knew both salmon hit the same lure. We tried to copy it with others but wasn't successful.
A Crazy Ivan spoon...I think Ben said it was called the Halloween Slasher!

We tried everything to get away from the white perch, depths, lure changes, speeds, you name it. The only place we didn't get perch was where the screen was blank, dead water, nothing there. We covered a lot of water and found them very heavily concentrated along the eastern shore line...the screen nearly black at times.
Those little scavengers would hit everything. Even a big ol large Honey Bee that was nearly the same size as this fish! What the heck did this perch think it was gonna do with that??? :lol:

Total for the day, 2 salmon, 2 small-mouth, and a bucket of white perch.

Anyway....it was a good day to be on the water.
Thanks Ben...and thanks for the idea to start a white perch charter service!!! :P
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Re: We Mastered 'Em!!!

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great report Ben and Gerry! Where is the ice cream? :)

The new forum is off to a great start! Thanks guys! Nothing but fishing pure fishing. :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Once aghain Kodiak puts silvers in the box when the bite is slow... Amazing! :o
Matt B
4stroker
Species: Anything with fins

Post by 4stroker »

Way to go guy's.
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Excellant guys,

A great day to be on the water. Now that you have those perch mastered let me know when you have caught the last one and I will see about goiing salmon fishing again in the SEA.. :mrgreen:

Don
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

I bet if you scale down the tackle and run a multi rod rigger program on those perch and a boat load of kids would think that rigger fishing was the BEST thing since crustless sliced bread!!!!

I mean.... holy rods firering!!! The Heck with the kids..... I think I would LOVE that!!! :D Sounds like FUN to me....... Maybe we just get too fussy on fish species and should enjoy the act of fishing as of all people I know you guys do.

Them perch are tasty after all!!! Raz get the Miller light and start the grill!!!! LOL
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:I bet if you scale down the tackle and run a multi rod rigger program on those perch and a boat load of kids would think that rigger fishing was the BEST thing since crustless sliced bread!!!!
Funny you mentioned that. We talked about that on the boat, what a great way to teach kids how to troll and reset riggers. Over and over and over again!
Gerry
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

YUP!!
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
northernnightmare
Species: the finned variety

Post by northernnightmare »

Great to see that there are a few silvers still interested in playing. That lure looks alot like my lucky firebolt that seems to always produce in the IS.
OKRA II Not just a Veggie!!
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Mmmmm...

White Perch...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
jollymon

Post by jollymon »

I guess you guys caught all the silver? We fished the Perch sea today and we did not even get a bass. Oh well
Reports like yours keep us heading back.
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

That Honey Bee Lure was outlawed right before they went out of buissness this spring! NA just funning!!!! I only have about 10 of that lure in my box. One day Fathead and I boated 25 + salmon on that very spoon in shelburne bay before 8am. We came off the water early were leaving to go to work and the fleet was just ariving gave all of them to guys going out and the reports were just awsome.
Todd
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Crazy Ivan wrote:That Honey Bee Lure was outlawed right before they went out of buissness this spring! NA just funning!!!! I only have about 10 of that lure in my box. One day Fathead and I boated 25 + salmon on that very spoon in shelburne bay before 8am. We came off the water early were leaving to go to work and the fleet was just ariving gave all of them to guys going out and the reports were just awsome.
Yup...it's a known killer, in all sizes!
And now for all species.
Gerry
Tracker
Species: all

Post by Tracker »

I have to agree with Lally have the rods fire is the most fun for me and those white perch are real good eating, come on you guys admit it you like it to, I have got to get in on that action sounds like a blast.
Kevin
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Nice read guy's and nice pic's looks like fun better than being on shore. Have'nt been out since the storm hoping things will clear up soon!
KEN K.