Some cross fertilization

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Some cross fertilization

Post by Gray Ghost »

I know that Champlain gets difficult at this time of the year, Winnipesaukee is hot fishing small flies and lure which imitate the YOY size that are plentiful, White Perch and smelt.

This about sums it up;

"Alan Nute at AJ’s Bait and Tackle in Meredith in the Lake Winnipesaukee Region reports that just before the storm there was some great fishing. “Catches of up to 30 fish per morning’s fishing! Mostly salmon with some rainbows and a few lakers mixed in. The fish are in the thermocline down 30 to 35 feet at first light in the morning and the fishing is fast and furious until about 9 or 9:30 when the baitfish and gamefish seem to scatter and drop deeper.”

“Although lures are producing some action, small streamer flies that represent young-of-the-year white perch are hot right now and out-producing the lures. We’ve created a couple of new patterns, one is green and pink we call the Watermelon Smelt and another is green, black and pink.”

He said that early morning anglers are having success with flies fished clean on the 50 yard Cortland Salmon full sinking fly lines. Also, downriggers that have attractor blade rigs attached in both vertical and horizontal positions directly to the downrigger cable or off the weight, using remote line releases just a foot or so back, are working."

The full report, http://www.ktpevents.com/interior.php/pid/9
Gus
Tight Lines
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Some cross fertilization

Post by raz »

Guss...that report by Kittery Trading Post is one of the best fishing reports I've read. From A to Z!

Help me out if you would. Could you explain "remote line release"?
Thanks
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

VERY Interesting stuff.. Thanks for the post!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Gus,

Thanks for joining our "United" forum. Everyone appreciates your input from the Granite state. Especially the pre-spawn behavior of the Winni salmon as we try to drill down and make progress here heading into September and October. Please keep your insights ongoing. Good stuff!
digitroll (ron)

The fish are in the thermocline down 30 to 35 feet at first light in the morning and the fishing is fast and furious until about 9 or 9:30 when the baitfish and gamefish seem to scatter and drop deeper.”

Gus,

A trip 4 weeks ago with Mike on my boat seemed to confirm this as we saw game fish suspended below bait (not active) as we didn't start fishing until 9:30 am one morning. They sure looked full and motionless with bait present. It was one of those days marking large fish on the screen and no takers for the next 5 hours. Summer doldrums? Or it was the early bird that ate the worm? :o
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

Guys, My good friend "H" has been on Winni for the last week and a half. He rented a house for the family for a 35 year anniversary to the wife. He has been calling me daily and boating super large numbers of fish from 15-40 feet down EVERYWHERE he has tried on the lake!! I was on my way over until Irene hit and then changed my mind. He also uses VERY small baits this time of year. The fish he kept to eat were full of "pin-smelt". Match the hatch as they say I guess :D
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

FISHCRAZY(LALLY) wrote:Guys, My good friend "H" has been on Winni for the last week and a half. He rented a house for the family for a 35 year anniversary to the wife. He has been calling me daily and boating super large numbers of fish from 15-40 feet down EVERYWHERE he has tried on the lake!! I was on my way over until Irene hit and then changed my mind. He also uses VERY small baits this time of year. The fish he kept to eat were full of "pin-smelt". Match the hatch as they say I guess :D
That and what Alan Nute stated are great food for thought here on Champlain.
Gerry
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

OK...We need pics of this:

"small streamer flies that represent young-of-the-year white perch"
There was a young man from Nantucket...
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Salmoneye wrote:OK...We need pics of this:

DITTO !!!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Post by Gray Ghost »

Raz, Your question,
"Help me out if you would. Could you explain "remote line release"?"

I called Alan Nute today while on the water and he does not know what a "remote line release" is. It would appear that the a little literary license was used by the writer. Alan is only familiar with the standard usage of line releases that are used with vert/horz blades.

While on the water this morning, took several screen snapshots of the YOY feeding on plankton and the predators feeding on the YOYs. The screen shot were taken 13 minutes prior to sun rise. After sunrise, the YOYs and predators disappear.

Use all flies, 4 lines, up until about 9 when bite slowed, then used several mooselook midget lures, regained the upper hand again. Then it was hardware for the rest of the day.

Salmoneye wrote:OK...We need pics of this:

Go to my Stream Gallery at http://home.comcast.net/~gpratte_171/Bl ... y/Fly.html

The following flies are proven to catch salmon this time of the year. Some of the other flies are in the inventory, but at this time have not been used. Too many flies and not enough time to fish them all. :mrgreen:

Plum Picker, Robin, White Perch, Gray Perch, Pumpkin Head, Purple Salty, Rainbow Salty, Salty Special, Clown, Gov Aikens, Winni Bomber, Blood & Guts, Y.O.T.Y
Gus
Tight Lines
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Thanks for the link Gus!

Familiar with a few on your list, and the 'White Perch' is a match for a fly that my Uncle used to drag...

I still have a half dozen or so...
There was a young man from Nantucket...
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

Another fly that has worked well over the years is the "Hornburgh". Popular as a trout fly, but a larger version works great on salmon. Talked to "H" today and he is still crushing the fish. Anytime of the day actually...... Mornings have been best, but he's had Very, very good luck even after the hurricane. ;) Two colors of lead first thing and 15-20 feet on the riggers and then later in the day 40 feet on riggers has ben the hot item. Like I have shown in posts before, he runs verticals and Horizontals attached to the ball. Works well for us on Champlain as well. The horizontals are made up of one Large Dave davis followed by a smaller set of 5 colorado blades. Release is above verticals and lure/flies/baits are set back 3-6 feet behind the end of the Horizontals ;)
raz
Site Admin

Post by raz »

Thanks again for the info Guss...and the effort to contact Alan.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Gus,

The screen shots of your Hummingbird are breathtaking. Good stuff!
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

Digitroll wrote:Gus,

The screen shots of your Hummingbird are breathtaking. Good stuff!
AWESOME really :shock: That fishery has a lot of fish in it. Big ones are few and far between though :(