Port Henry to Split Rock - 11/20

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry to Split Rock - 11/20

Post by ChessieMan »

Habits, especially "old" habits are hard to break - so I launched out of Port Henry again - I guess I was hoping the fish had moved south - let's just say that after an hour of nothing I headed north.

Worked my way up the east side with a stop at Scotch Bonnet, around the back of Diamond - nada and then ran the 80-100 foot edge all the way up to Thompson's - got one small laker on the way - got to within 1/4 mile of where Scott and I hit them last week and Pop! there's goes the dipsy - 16" laker Ok, there must be something to this spot - a few minutes later Dave is on the dipsy again - this time a little silver shaker -

Nothing to write home about, but it was #2 for the year, which is one more than last year - so there was a "sliver" lining!

Minutes later I landed a 20" laker off the dipsy and while I was playing it, somethin??? ripped a Mooselook Wonder Bread off the other dipsy -after one more 18" laker, we shuttled over to Whalon's.

A little more bait around the 80-90 FoW areas - nothing out deeper - picked up another laker and a 3# white perch - so in all, not a bad day all things considered - that is until the ride back to PH - I knew the wind was picking up from the south when we crossed to Whalon's and when we rounded Split Rock on the way back we got a little wet - running the east side down to PH lessened the bumps, but got a got washing from a quarter roll when crossing over to PH launch.

All fish came at 30-45 down over 60-90 FoW - no secret lure - Mooselook Wonder Bread, Sunrise Speedi, black/purple HB all took fish, speed 2.4-2.5

Looks lie I'll be back Wednesday, but I'll probably be launching pout of Converse to save the boat ride - everyone have a safe and belly filling Thanksgiving
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Re: Port Henry to Split Rock - 11/20

Post by TruViking »

Cobgrats on the salmon and thanks for the info!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Thanks for the report. I was also in Whallons on the afternoon, and its very helpful to know what was (and wasn't) biting further south. I have been thinking about launching at Arnold Bay and heading to Fishville, but it sounds like its not very fishy yet.

I'm impressed w/ your ride back to PH... I crossed from Whallons back to Converse around 3:30 and it was rough just for that short stretch. The Humminbird died after the shock of hitting one larger wave at 20 mph and wouldn't turn back on until I'd powered off the entire boat and restarted later on... glad you made it back OK. Might see you around Converse Weds if everything falls into place.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ed, thanks for the report... and to me.... it look so like you have a Yearling steelhead to me. The color, mouth shape and tail spots give it away...

That is a rare fish this summer...

Did we see you around split Rock? KeyWest dual console?

Thanks for the report...
Matt B
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Yup steelhead …
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Thx guys - I never even considered the little bugger to be a steelhead, but I think you're correct - square tail, no fork