Port Henry -10/8

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry -10/8

Post by ChessieMan »

I'm Baaaack!!!!

It's been a long 10 months and I'm happy to say me and the Money Pit are back on the water - me recovering from 4 broken ribs a cracked vertebra and collapsed lung that had me in ICU for a while last May and the Money Pit after a successful motor transplant - both long stories that fortunately ended well with minimal cost.

So with healing ribs and a new Yamaha 115 VMaxx SHO I was "scratching the itch" with my friend Troy "a newbie" Tuesday on a what most would call a perfect day.

Launched at 7:45 and immediately broke a rod - Aah, something never change - plenty of spares so NP - headed to Fishville and started at the 80 foot line - had the Fish Hawk down but had trouble finding the thermocline - worked out to 110 and started bumping 56-57 (surface was 62) at 90 ft. so ran other rods at 60 and 70 - no releases, but a few small isolated bait balls - tried the edges off Camp Dudley and Scotch Bonnet with same results, nothing.

Took a pleasure cruise up past the ledges and around Split Rock and went "lines down" in Whalon's - found a very profound break, 48F at 90 ft. and had a "hit & run" in 5 minutes - worked the 140-160 edge for another hour and finally hooked up - a real rod bender, but no thumping - "a laker" I told Troy, who really wasn't listening being more intent on reeling a "Big Ass" fish as he said.

When I finally got a look at her - I had to agree - she was a "Big Ass" fish - I was a little rusty with the net, but finally got her in the boat - 29" 13# -

Needless to say when you catch your PB trout on your first trip on a new lake - you're happy and I was happy too!

Kept fishing in Whalon's until noon and had one more release - started working our way south and that's when Capt. Catastrophe struck - I was yapping about something and not paying attention and ran over "Ball Grabber Ledge" - I call it "Ball Grabber" because on one of must first trips back in 2004 I lost a ball there - and you know what - I lost both my balls Tuesday!

So much for more fishing - yeah, I had spares, but I can take a hint too!

It was great to be back on the lake - Troy got a PB, I scratched the itch and we got back to the dock safely - think I'll wait a couple weeks for the water to cool a little more before I give it another try - Oh and Troy is already asking when we'll go again - so I got another convert.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Re: Port Henry -10/8

Post by TruViking »

Wow! That's a hell of a story! :)
Don't know you, but I liked that post! :geek: The way I look at it is, Anyone on this forum, considering the amount of Fishing Knowledge, advice and comradery that is selflessly shared with us all......... I would probably be friends with any/all, if I met them!
Sounds like you have had a rough go-around. Glad you are feeling better and back out there. Must've felt like forever until you were able to drop lines again :!: :!: :!:
Congrats to "Troy"! :P Gotta Love when a "Personal Best" comes onto your Boat! :P I know it is one of my Favorite things to witness/accomplish. 8-)

All the Best,
Ej(TruViking)
Play'n Hookey
Species: Lake Trout Salmon Walleye

Post by Play'n Hookey »

I,m glad that you could recover in time to get back out before the cold weather shuts us down . I agree with Tru Viking about being friends with most of the fishermen that we meet . I fish out of Wilsboro so I haven't been down to the ledge that you are speaking of but I have a buddy that told me of having the same experience in that area , he said it looks like a curtain on the graph at 1st so he thought it was a glicht but after hitting with both riggers he though otherwise. I've pulled my boat for the season ,can't wait till spring . Best of luck and tight lines to ya'
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Ed,
Glad you are back fishing. You went through a long recovery
Looks like your first outing will be memorable. Congrats to Troy for his PB, sorry to hear about your lost/broken equipment. At least no one got hurt.
Frostbite is only a few weeks away. Join the gang and share the fun.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ed thanks for the post... the ball grabber strikes again... great story...

Thanks for sharing and hope to see ya out there as soon as I get Reelax back from the hydraulic steering upgrade...

Sounds like the new motor ran well... that’s a big plus...

Fish on!!
Matt B
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Post by DrCaddis »

Wow. What a spring and summer recovery period. I was wondering what happened to you because you are always on the water and post great stories full of great advice for us rookies on LC. Congratulations on your first trip back and hope to catch you on 68 soon. I will be on the water next Friday (15) through Tuesday so hopefully we can connect. I’m gonna hit willsboro bay because it gives protection from wind. Hopefully weather will cooperate. Glad your back at the helm😁👍
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good to see you back on champlain again. havent heard from you in awhile. are you going to fish the salmon shootout in november
Chazycuda
Species: Salmon, trout

Post by Chazycuda »

Well It sounds like you had a tough start this year I hope your healing well, I’m glad to see you got out and landed that nice fat laker PB - congratulations! Great story!Always good to get back on the water. I can relate to DR a couple weeks ago …I was thinking it was a huge hit - ya it was a huge hit alright ,when I hit bottom ripped the ball right off.
I broke 2 poles on one trip this summer that is a PB of mine on the pole front!

It’s funny how what goes around comes around. But it’s always worth it On the flip side my first time out this year on LC I got my PB Laker 29” but in the 8# range.

Anyway I’m back at the lake for the next week or so if any knows where the silvers might be in the north end this time of year? are they hanging around or heading up the saranac? Any advice is appreciated!

Good luck out there!
Chuck
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Hey Fishy - good to hear your voice too!

I'll be on the lake as many days as I can - as always, weather is the deciding factor - hoping the silvers are more cooperative this year -
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

ChessieMan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:01 am Hey Fishy - good to hear your voice too!

I'll be on the lake as many days as I can - as always, weather is the deciding factor - hoping the silvers are more cooperative this year -
hey ed just to let you know my chemo nd keytruda infusions did not work and im in hospice care now. keep chasing and good luck
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

If it makes all you guys who lost their balls on the grabber above feel better, Liam and I lost a 15 lb lead ball that I plastidipped, one of my homemade aluminum wingers I tig welded last winter, snubber, and a Chamberlain release on it 2 weeks ago Sunday. I also am well aware of the hazard but, we were fishing a little too hard, a little too close, dipped speed just a bit, lost altitude above the bottom, and pop! Down it all went.

fishy1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:50 pm
ChessieMan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:01 am Hey Fishy - good to hear your voice too!

hey ed just to let you know my chemo nd keytruda infusions did not work and im in hospice care now. keep chasing and good luck

I just wanted to say Hi Matt, and I'm sorry we never connected at your walleye spot where I like to launch. I've been looking for you every time though.

In fact, I was just telling a couple of the kids on the Vergennes bass fishing team that I started this year about you. One of them was saying he was going to "catch a lake trout on this cast", and the other one replied "you can't catch a lake trout casting, and definitely not this close to shore". Well. Coach Jack just had to step in there on that one, and tell them about Fishy1.

You've been a great inspiration to me and everyone else who might think like that kid on the team. Thank you for all that you have shared, and good luck to you too.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack