Offshore fishing is good (ocean off of OOB area)

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Offshore fishing is good (ocean off of OOB area)

Post by Big Bear »

For those who like to trailer their boat from LC to the ocean, this post is for you:

15-20mi offshore old orchard beach has been good around Trinidad ledge and further out around Jeffries. Lots of large pollack and some haddock. Also found a bunch of red fish and hake around Boomerang and Tantus. Pollack Nubble continues to have a lot of tuna boats and the dogs were really bad there. Saw a bunch of Minke whales out and around and an ocean sunfish which are fun to watch too. Good launch for $20/day out of Pine Point in the Nonesuch River and can launch even at low tide, 2 boats at a time and large parking lot. Further south the Rye Beach launch is also $20/day and can also launch 2 boats at a time even at low tide.
Attachments
6C4DF0A0-49C8-499D-B23D-435C2DC52ED5.jpeg
6C4DF0A0-49C8-499D-B23D-435C2DC52ED5.jpeg (199.07 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
CF66EEEA-E10F-4551-B145-949A1074ABA9.jpeg
CF66EEEA-E10F-4551-B145-949A1074ABA9.jpeg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
BC49268F-19EC-464F-86F5-B4229A9BD50D.jpeg
BC49268F-19EC-464F-86F5-B4229A9BD50D.jpeg (164.39 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
543B4430-438C-4CC3-9B28-BB197DF19529.jpeg
543B4430-438C-4CC3-9B28-BB197DF19529.jpeg (79.68 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
D3A95F5B-6379-4C00-B950-F02E5E38FD77.jpeg
D3A95F5B-6379-4C00-B950-F02E5E38FD77.jpeg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Offshore fishing is good (ocean off of OOB area)

Post by Detritus »

That's been on the Country Angler's to do list since we got it. I've got family in Wells we could stay with. Pretty sure parking and launching at Wells Harbor is free too. That was a few years back though.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Wells is a challenging place to launch at low tide, at least it used to be. There is also very little parking for a boat trailer. So you might want to check these 2 things out before you go. I have not been out of Wells for 5-6yrs. That’s closer to Jeffries Ledge which is probably the best place to go ground fishing on a reliable basis. Good luck!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a great trip Eric... just put the forum name with the author after seeing the picks!!!

I’ve eaten from that restaurant in the parking lot of where you launched before, but never fished out of there..
How often each season do you ocean fish?

Thanks for the salty report
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Love pine point area been going there for years fishing is great there right near the launch for stripers. You had a good haul there nice fish
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Reelax wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:20 am Sounds like a great trip Eric... just put the forum name with the author after seeing the picks!!!

I’ve eaten from that restaurant in the parking lot of where you launched before, but never fished out of there..
How often each season do you ocean fish?

Thanks for the salty report
Try to get out a few times per year. Need to pick the days or you can get into trouble fast as sometimes we are 40mi offshore in late August and September. It’s been a bit of a hiatus and last time I was out was 2015 since I sold my old boat and just got this one last summer. All in all, been out more than 30 times in a Wellcraft 236 eclipse, Key West 211CC and Key West 239FS. The Nonesuch River definitely has a lot of striper action. We only fished it for a few minutes since had a window to get offshore and back. The Pine Point fish market is a great place to eat.
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

I love hearing the reports from all of you since i have now moved to Alfred ME which is less than a 15 minutes ride away from Biddeford. I've been fishing over here off my boat, by kayak and off the shore.

The Pine Point ramp is excellent and Sterns Restaurant is right next to it and probably is one of the best seafood places I have found since moving here just a couple years ago. Another excellent ramp is the public ramp on the Saco River in Biddeford. The Saco and Wells launch are public sites and free.

Eric is right about the Wells ramp at low time, but, parking has improved with some more spaces just before the Hobbs Restaurant. All of the "outside" fishing sites are excellent and really produce from early Spring opening through the season.
If you don't have a boat, the Nonesuch and the Wells Harbor area next to the jetties are excellent Striper fishing from shore or by kayak. The Saco is also excellent in places with a Kayak too. Another excellent early area for Stripers is the Parsons Beach area in Kennebunk.

But, I sure do miss fishing Champlain.

Michael
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

drachma wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:19 pm I love hearing the reports from all of you since i have now moved to Alfred ME which is less than a 15 minutes ride away from Biddeford. I've been fishing over here off my boat, by kayak and off the shore.

The Pine Point ramp is excellent and Sterns Restaurant is right next to it and probably is one of the best seafood places I have found since moving here just a couple years ago. Another excellent ramp is the public ramp on the Saco River in Biddeford. The Saco and Wells launch are public sites and free.

Eric is right about the Wells ramp at low time, but, parking has improved with some more spaces just before the Hobbs Restaurant. All of the "outside" fishing sites are excellent and really produce from early Spring opening through the season.
If you don't have a boat, the Nonesuch and the Wells Harbor area next to the jetties are excellent Striper fishing from shore or by kayak. The Saco is also excellent in places with a Kayak too. Another excellent early area for Stripers is the Parsons Beach area in Kennebunk.

Michael

Great to hear from you Mike. I was thinking of you a while back. My little brother just bought a
Place in Alaska on the Kenai river for a retirement fishing base... Are you going up this year? I’d love to plan a float with you up there someday, as you have soo many years of experience up there...

He is sending pics almost every day and is having just as much fun out the mouth on the 100lb+ halibut as he is having in the river...
Attachments
C7BA3D41-5998-4289-BDC0-3C49F2B13E03.jpeg
C7BA3D41-5998-4289-BDC0-3C49F2B13E03.jpeg (163.34 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Matt B
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

drachma wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:19 pm I love hearing the reports from all of you since i have now moved to Alfred ME which is less than a 15 minutes ride away from Biddeford. I've been fishing over here off my boat, by kayak and off the shore.

Michael
Is the Saco River launch the Marblehead launch? I wasn’t sure if I could launch at low tide there or not, so didn’t try it. That would be a little closer to Jeffries than Pine Point. Next time I head down here I will look you up!
drachma

Post by drachma »

Eric,
Yes it's the Marblehead Launch that is near the University of New England. It is still launchable at low tide and I do it.
At low tide you definitely want to navigate out by GPS so you can follow the channel, but, it's ok.

Matt,
I think I don't like your brother already. :)
It's great that he can do that. I haven't guided up there for 4 years now since moving to Maine.
I'd go to AK with you cause my freezer is empty of halibut and salmon.
I can share info with you anytime. I still have about 6 pounds of Mepps and Pixie lures for up there also if you need any.

Michael
drachma

Post by drachma »

Eric,

Let me know if you need a mate. I've gone from a 23 footer down to an 18 footer now.

Michael
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

drachma wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:06 pm Eric,

Let me know if you need a mate. I've gone from a 23 footer down to an 18 footer now.

Michael
Will do, I have a 24’ Key West 239FS. It did great both days we had it offshore. Would be great to have another experienced fisherman onboard! I will message you in a few days and we can trade info.
drachma

Post by drachma »

I use to fish Bluefin Tuna off my 24 footer back i the early 90's out of Cape Ann, Gloucester, Newburyport, and Portsmouth.
I have a bunch of Lat/Long #s from back then for Cod and Haddock too off the Isle's of Shoals. They'd have to be converted though.

Michael
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

drachma wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:36 pm I use to fish Bluefin Tuna off my 24 footer back i the early 90's out of Cape Ann, Gloucester, Newburyport, and Portsmouth.
I have a bunch of Lat/Long #s from back then for Cod and Haddock too off the Isle's of Shoals. They'd have to be converted though.

Michael
Would be interesting to see them. I have many as well, most of them are on Jeffries or new/old scatum. Always have a tuna rod ready to go with squid bars, didn’t see any opportunity to use it these trips. We saw a dozen tuna boats with balloons off Pollack Nubble. We groundfished there for about 45min and not one of those boats had any action. I have chased tuna a few times, never have had a hook up. I always have a residential NOAA bluefin permit onboard just in case..