Where did the salmon go, outer bay/colchester reef

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Where did the salmon go, outer bay/colchester reef

Post by Big Bear »

I had been doing well with salmon in the outer bay. As the temperature warmed up, I moved out to Colchester reef and the deep water around Stave and Providence island. I can catch Lakers all day, but no salmon. Seems strange that they are not there so must be me. Been fishing 45-70’ in 100-150 FOW with all different colors at 2.4mph. Maybe too slow? Or are all the salmon pretty much south or in the inland sea? Might be worth going through the gut and try the Georgia shore as I am in mallets bay and can’t get thought the sandbar bridge.
Pcraft237
Species: All

Re: Where did the salmon go, outer bay/colchester reef

Post by Pcraft237 »

I’ve been fishing Willsboro Bay and doing pretty much what you’re doing. Using FishHawk to find 50-55 degree water about 70 ft down. From 90-150ft depth. Small lakers, no salmon. Running a variety of spoon colors from 2—3.5 mph. Yeah where are the salmon?
I did have a local guide tell me for Willsboro Bay a north wind will push the salmon out of bay. They return on south winds though it may take a day or two.
Papatom
Species: Salmon

Post by Papatom »

Is this dry spell pretty typical?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Consider yourself lucky , or skillful to catch salmon in the outer Bay at all this year. The whole area has been mostly terrible for salmon fishing the last4 years. I have no explanation except the usual blather; birds, lamprey, alewives, lack of commitment by Vt. FandW to figure out why salmon fishing sucks in two thirds of the lake.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Post by Big Bear »

It’s odd, i have been out of fishing since 2015, but remember catching a lot of salmon off colchester reef and never anything in the outer bay. This year I’ve caught a dozen or so keeper salmon in the outer bay 1.5-3lbs. Last was 2.5wks ago o think they have left for deeper water as the outer bay only has a few areas 100’ deep and those are not too extensive.

Sounds like all the good salmon fishing is far south or maybe in the inland sea. I still can’t believe there are none off colchester reef. I saw a few what might be yesterday around 50-60’ in the fishfinder but no hits. TONs of Lakers 80-130’
Chazycuda
Species: Salmon, trout

Post by Chazycuda »

I went out fishing 7:00 to 1:00 today trolling for salmon and Lakers, dropped downrigger at head of Isle le-motte and looped about 5 miles south a couple times 100-150 Dow Lakers spotting on the bottom not much luck with either. I tried slowing down to 1.5 mph with 3” spoons and and on leadcore had split back rebel and live shiners. Not even a hit cought some weeds and fleas were not bat with 30lbs mono. Tried bouncing the ball on the bottom and tried jigging for Lakers too no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Chuck