Sunday - Whallon Bay

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Sunday - Whallon Bay

Post by tmcaul »

Left Point Bay Marina around 9AM. Plan was to head south towards Potash Point and then troll back north. But water was very discolored at mouth of Otter Creek, so we motored north of Diamond Island and trolled north along New York side. We saw a few random marks and a number of bait balls, but no signs of big fish feeding around the bait.

No action until we rounded Split Rock. Then a small laker. Trolled west and then veered to the north towards Cannon Point. Started marking lakers on the sandy bottom 70-80' down. So we dropped our two riggers to the bottom and started landing fish. All lakers, of course. One laker had a huge girth, though not that long. It gave a good fight. So by the end of the morning we were 5 for 6 or maybe 6 for 7. Only one fish hit our dipsey. All the action was on our riggers.

No salmon, unfortunately. Only 1 lamprey and almost no fleas. Thermocline was at 55. Not many other boats fishing. Before heading in we crossed the lake and set up in Converse to take a last try at salmon. But just picked up another laker.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
TUnamas

Re: Sunday - Whallon Bay

Post by TUnamas »

We fished the same area at the same time, with similar results. I need to learn Forum Member boats better or I would have hailed you on the radio!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

My boat is an 18' Lund. White hull with black Lund logo. Second boat on left as you walk down the "gangplank" at Point Bay Marina.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the detailed report. Gonna earn any salmon we get, but that is no reason not to try:)

It is funny you guys are boat neighbors... Tunamas is just a little further down the docks:)

Fish
On!
Matt B