Son's New Personal Best Lake Trout

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Son's New Personal Best Lake Trout

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

My son caught his new personal best lake trout on Saturday. 27" and 8 lbs. I had to hold on to the rod, while he also held the rod and reeled. This fish wanted to pull him in the water. Luckily we had 4 people on the boat as I helped my son, my father drove the boat and my wife netted it. Took all four of us.

Off from Rock Island south part of lake. 4 rods, 70' of water, riggers with cowbells attached to the ball, with spoons staked at 65' (5 ft back) and 60' (25' back) of water. His lake trout came on bottom spoon on a Crazy Ivan Silver Bomb Pop.

We also caught 2 small salmon 8" and 10" that never released the riggers. Found them when wanting to change spoons. They were still good and lively when we released them back.

When reeling up after the wind picked up, we had two perch being towed behind for don't know how long.
lake trout.jpg
lake trout.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
FishPole Thinking
TUnamas

Re: Son's New Personal Best Lake Trout

Post by TUnamas »

It was a tough weekend. My guests on Sunday arrived at 8:10 am, and we could only fish until 1:15. With bad reports coming from the Barber Pt to Snake Den area on Saturday, we made a scouting cruise Saturday afternoon and saw the Otter mud plume being blown south on the North wind. We also had a boat alarm but got that sorted out, though hoping a line wasn't ruptured. We decided to stick with basics and try our luck around Split Rock. Dropped in and had fish immediately, but it tapered off fast. Then we shot up to Meach and hit the 85 foot contour hoping to find a big laker on plugs. We did, but with a newbie on the rod it was dropped. Headed back to Essex and came across Cannon and then to Split before picking lines. We ended up 5/7. At the dock while cleaning the boat I landed 5 bowfin, 4 males and a master class female that went 30 inches (maybe 31) and just over 10 lbs on the boga. Awesome to get your son's PB, and it's good to hear there are smaller stocked salmon in the lake. We haven't seen any yet and I'm still worried for future year classes. Awesome PIC! Treasure that one!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice job!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

way to go keep chasing
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

An 8 lb fish is no joke for anybody, and especially exciting for someone who's what, 9 years old? Grandfather in the boat too. Heck of a day on the water if you ask me. Nice job.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

I agree, a "PB" day, especially or a kid and seeing the smiles that follow(Such as the pic above), isn't5 that what it is really all about?
Awesome post and Congrats on that Hefty Laker!!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

congrats on the PB togue. Way to go !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !