Fleas

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Fleas

Post by Fishinpole »

What are you guys finding in the way of Fleas?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Fleas

Post by Reelax »

They are early this year and worse than ever... If your not using 30lb test or more, dont even bother using a down rigger and a slide diver line with 50lb power pro requires a wet towel pit crew to remove the fleas as you real in the fish.. Not good;(
Matt B
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

Fished Split Rock area on Wednesday. Picked up two small lakers, one stocked, other natural. Fleas were nasty, so much so stopped trolling, couldn’t reel in without constantly removing fleas at rod tip.
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Boatless in BTV »

The trolling I do on Champlain is pulling deep-divers behind my kayak for smallmouths and pike in and around Burlington. That had never given me a problem before, but today I got overwhelmed with fleas. I had to give up after two passes and switch to just casting.
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

I was told 40 lb test has a large enough diameter to keep them off. A good sized barrel swivel attached between line and leader can keep them from sliding back to lure. I’ll be seeing how it works this week
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Time to throw on the 40lb test top-shot, I guess! Also found a few fleas in the inland sea yesterday. Not terrible, but they were there.