Another Solid Trip

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Another Solid Trip

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Launched again at Otter Creek and set up just north of Diamond.

Less bait and even less activity than yesterday but managed to land 2 -- 1 dink and 1 good fish at 8+ pounds.

Ventured to NY side and started switching colors and depth. Hit 1 decent fish around Snake Den.

Kept going south hoping to find bait balls. Some scattered schools as I made my way to Westport. Pulled the hook on 1 and landed another.

Swung east to the VT side and finally found bait and predators. Landed 6 -- all between 10:30 and noon -- with 1 nice, fat wild fish around 28".

Pulled the lines at noon and ended 10 for 11.

Spoons with some blue seemed to get the most attention, but no specific pattern stood out:

Blue pin minnow -- 1 biggie

Whallon's -- 1 dink

Lollygagger -- 1 decent

Blue Sheen -- 2 small

Silver Bomb Pop -- 2 decent

Fat Buzzy -- 3 decent

First trip I did NOT get a fish on Sausage Milkshake Gravy!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Another Solid Trip

Post by Crayfish »

Nice! I was out there Saturday morning between Thompson's and the river. Caught 7 lakers with the biggest being a 30" pig. Also caught some small 12-18" lakers. Bigger ones were on bottom in 60' of water. Smaller ones were suspended. Most were pretty clean ... even the bigger ones.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nice are the lakers aggressive and putting up a good fight trolling. also are they hitting at all levels? just wondering where my friends should attack fathers day weekend derby.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

The ones I caught, Matt, were super aggressive. A couple I thought were going to break my rod before I could get it out of the rod holder. My bigger ones were caught on or just off bottom with a spoon just above and behind a set of horizontal blades.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Matt,

Based on other posts, folks are finding lakers both shallow and deep.

I try to cover as much ground as possible, but I'm not finding bait shallow. Others apparently are. Instead, I'm finding bait balls in deep water -- from 120' to the abyss -- and the bait seems to be suspending around 100 feet, give or take.

I've had most action 60 to 80 down -- the limits of a "Musky" Torpedo Weight at 2.3 mph. I'm rigging both rods with fixed cheaters 15 feet above the weight and generally cover the column between 40 and 80.

Any fish over 20" is getting "spicy" near the boat. Good long runs and headshakes.

Hope this helps.