TEAM POINTER ROTARY REPORT

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

TEAM POINTER ROTARY REPORT

Post by popster »

Team Pointer, consisting of Kevin Collins (Dragonballs), Pat Church (4cs) and me, got together as we have been doing for several years looking for Mr Big.
We covered 114 miles in the 3 days of the Rotary, most of which was traveling back & forth to weigh stations!

Day 1 we popped a beautiful Salmon, 15’ down, in the foggy, calm southern Lake, which Pat played for almost 20 minutes.
The strength of the Salmon showed after 2 blistering, reel-screaming, ridiculously fast runs of 260’ each on the counter.
One of the finest displays put on by a Landlocked Salmon I’ve ever witnessed.
Pat was a pro with the rod, while everyone did what they had to do to land this trophy fish.
We weighed him in at Essex at 8 lb-4 oz and watched him in the live well for a time before releasing him.
An old, healed Lamprey scar, and the early stages of a kype
The EGO 8’ Slider Net was not big enough so Kevin used a shorter, wider one.
Most of the rest of the day was spent releasing about 30 Lakers, none over 6 ish.

Day 2 was slow for us.
Day 3 we attempted to find a large Laker, and we did….just not large enough to go with the Salmon. We weighed in a Laker which gave us a 4th place finish in TEAM and Pat’s Salmon finished 3rd.
All fish were released this weekend
Pretty good showing for 3 old geezers. What a ball fishing with my great friends, Pat and Kevin.
Congrats to the winners.

Here’s some pics from the weekend

My favorite conditions

Pat with 3rd Place Salmon at Essex Weigh Station

what fun to watch an 8# Salmon swim around in my live well

Day 2 Good morning from NY

Day 3 We worked it hard

Perkins Pier Weigh Station

Last edited by popster on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
"POINTER"
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: TEAM POINTER ROTARY REPORT

Post by Dilly Worm »

popster wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:54 am Day 1 we popped a beautiful Salmon, 15’ down, in the foggy, calm southern Lake, which Pat played for almost 20 minutes.
The strength of the Salmon showed after 2 blistering, reel-screaming, ridiculously fast runs of 260’ each on the counter.
One of the finest displays put on by a Landlocked Salmon I’ve ever witnessed.
Pat was a pro with the rod, while everyone did what they had to do to land this trophy fish.
We weighed him in at Essex at 8 lb-4 oz
wow, what an incredible fish ! congrats
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Congrats on that big salmon. Nice that you released him after the terrific fight he gave Pat. Was that salmon your boat's personal best?
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Just Rite (Taycon)
Species: Salmon,lake trout

Post by Just Rite (Taycon) »

Great talking with you at the dock. My daughter and I will be back for the LCI. Can't wait
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Loved seeing the pic of that huge salmon the morning of day one... While you guys let a little wind out of our sails... We are all happy for you guys and it just made us more determined to locate bigger fish....

Great talking to your guys out there.. Man that FOG was nasty!
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Glad it happened to a dock mate! Beautiful fish. It's good to see Pat get another big one! Well deserved! Dragonballs too? You had a stellar crew! 15 feet down in the fog? Happened quick. We were pleased for you ... really, we were ... there wasn't "too" much cussing aboard our boat!" Meanwhile we were figuring out driving by graph and determining refresh speeds while calling out on the radio: "Marco?" anticipating a reply: "Polo!" It was a good derby, my first in freshwater. I've crewed saltwater tournaments, but this was a different game. Wait, ...You had 2 nets? No wonder! We fished part of the derby with a broken one, part with a hand whittled dowel repaired net, and finally a bit more without any at all .. BUT, ALL without losing a single fish! We ate too well, laughed too hard, and caught far too many fish. We took a few nice ones, I'm always learning new tricks, it was great to spend time with my co-crew, and I'm game to try it again. Next year ... Congrats!
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Tom...A gallant effort by that big fish earned him his release, with a big thank you for playing with us. PB Salmon of 8.64 lbs for my boat came a few years ago during LCI. Brian Pratt caught the beaut with Pat on the team. Pat's been the common denominator, but Kevin isn't far behind. Mike (Lazycs) and Randy (Heijac) boated one about the same size years ago at Garden I.

Kersten... Great seeing you. Didn't you say your boat was staying in that slip for 2 weeks?? I'd be happy to guard your lures for you while you're gone! Looking forward to the next go around.

Matt & Scott....I did hear some interesting language coming from the direction of Deano's boat. Indigestion? Nice Steelie Scott
Last edited by popster on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
"POINTER"
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Wow, love the stories and appreciate the fishing skills. I didn't fish on the rotary, but I did fish on Champlain over the weekend and didn't find any big fish, so I have a true appreciation for the results you gentlemen generated. Congrats to all the teams in the Rotary Derby and to team Pointer in particular. You inspire me to be a better fisherman.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow you guys did great what a awsome time . i can just picture that salmon making its runs thats awsome. congratu;ations on your winnings
Just Rite (Taycon)
Species: Salmon,lake trout

Post by Just Rite (Taycon) »

popster wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:15 pm Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Tom...A gallant effort by that big fish earned him his release, with a big thank you for playing with us. PB Salmon of 8.64 lbs for my boat came a few years ago during LCI. Brian Pratt caught the beaut with Pat on the team. Pat's been the common denominator, but Kevin isn't far behind. Mike (Lazycs) and Randy (Heijac) boated one about the same size years ago at Garden I.

Kersten... Great seeing you. Didn't you say your boat was staying in that slip for 2 weeks?? I'd be happy to guard your lures for you while you're gone! Looking forward to the next go around.

Matt & Scott....I did hear some interesting language coming from the direction of Deano's boat. Indigestion? Nice Steelie Scott
🤣 I thought about my lures when I left. They're tucked away. Thank you for the offer. I'm shooting to come up Sunday morning to go for a boat ride. Trying to convince my wife to tag along. Her idea of getting up before the sun then what would be a 5 hour round trip being fun and mine differ I guess.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very nice Bill, Pat, and Kevin...such a nice silver and to think it's back in the lake is too cool.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Pointer and crew for your amazing fish. And kudo for releasing it.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)