Quick Afternoon Trip

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Quick Afternoon Trip

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Memorial Day plans didn't quite pan out as I was only able to fish in the afternoon. Launched at Otter Creek and ran south to the Scotch Bonnet. Lines in at 2:30.

Ran a fixed cheater for the first time. Sausage Gravy Milkshake 40 feet back from a torpedo weight with the cheater 20 feet above the weight. Purple pin minnow on the cheater. Torpedo weight down around 55 feet and the cheater at 35 feet.

Second rod rigged with a TripZ diver and Gold Bomb Pop. 17 down.

Cheater struck gold after a few minutes. 28" laker -- perfect for the smoker.

Kept heading south and found a massive baitball between Button and Arnold's Bays in about 120 feet. Dropped the rigs down another 20 feet and put a Purple Demon on the TripZ.

Reel clicked a few times. Thought that I may have been dragging a small fish but gave it another minute. Then, zzzziiing! Cheater once again nabbed a 28" laker but could tell "the angle of the dangle" was odd. Yup. 14" laker on the SMG.

Missed fish on the next two passes.

On the final pass, the clicker started singing. Deep bend in the rod and heavy head shakes. Coaxed the fish up -- cheater was unmolested. Slipped it off and cranked to the torpedo -- things got interesting but managed to slip that off. Cranked until I saw color -- nice fish! Say 12 to 14 pounds netted and released.

Two fish on the purple Yozuri rigged as a cheater.

Two fish on the SMG Crazy Ivan.

Not a single bump on TripZ regardless of depth or color.

Back to ramp by 6 PM.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Quick Afternoon Trip

Post by Dilly Worm »

Nice to see you got into some sizeable fish, good results for a quick afternoon trip ! Any photos of that 12-14 pounder ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

Unfortunately, no. Fishing solo, I don't take many pictures unless I'm keeping the fish.

Thick fish and easily 33"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report. Some good size lakers you got. That's a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nice job did you hit the humps. nice report keep chasing
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

Didn't make it that far south. If I had been on the water earlier.....

Maybe next time?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow great report. Felt like I was Aboard watching you work your spread...

Welcome aboard and THANKS for sharing...
Matt B
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

What is your recipe for smoking the lake trout. I did my first one last year. I must have brined too long or too strong. It was so salty it was not edible. I did a liquid brine and did rinse it off before smoking. They were fillets with no skin, maybe that was the issue?
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

Great question!

Right now I'm using a dry rub.

Equal parts Kosher salt and garlic powder.

Healthy bit of black pepper, but a little goes a long way.

Half part brown sugar

Half part Old Bay

Half part pickling spice.

For example, I start with a 1/4 cup of salt and garlic and add 1/8 cup, each, of the other ingredients (not too much pepper!). This makes a fair amount, but it's easy to store the unused portion.

Mix it well and liberally apply to filets. Coat flesh side and skin side. Cover and refrigerate.

I let the filets cure for at least 48 hours. Longer is fine. Life sometimes gets in the way, and I've had good results even after 5 days.

Here's the important part: (1) after curing, rinse the fillets thoroughly, (2) pat the filets dry, and (3) refrigerate uncovered 12 to 24 hours. This allows a "pellicle" to form. The pellicle is a sticky layer of protein -- it looks like glazing, and it traps the smoky flavor.

I smoke hot and fast -- 225 degrees for 2.5 hours.

I've used wet brines in the past and they're delicious. But, they are time consuming to "build" and waste ingredients.

For lake trout, it's best to rub them right after filleting. Within 48 hours max. They do NOT keep well in the fridge.

As far as I'm concerned nothing matches a laker for smoking -- especially the smaller ones from the NEK.
sonny88
Species: salmon

Post by sonny88 »

I need to try the dry rub idea! I have always used a wet solution and marinate the laker, salmon or bluefish overnight. I use a cup of soy sauce (instead of salt), a half cup of honey or maple syrup, a cup of white wine, 1 t ground ginger, 1 t black pepper, 1 t garlic powder, and 1T sesame oil. I simmer this for 3 minutes and then put the fish in it overnight. Before i smoke it i put it on racks over the sink for about an hour to let the liquid drip off. I don't rinse them but usually put a little more pepper on before smoking.
I always leave the skins on.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs

That sounds like a winner!
sonny88
Species: salmon

Post by sonny88 »

Oh, and cool the liquid before you put the raw fish in.
60Fishman

Post by 60Fishman »

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to give them a try.
60Fishman

Post by 60Fishman »

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to give them a try.