Another Bay - from Shore

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Wabbler
Species: Whatever bites

Another Bay - from Shore

Post by Wabbler »

Arnold’s Bay around 6 AM still trying to find some water where a salmonid might lurk in casting range. There were several trucks and trailers there already, but no one else at the shore. It was a grey overcast sky , and the wind was picking up a little.

Here are some morning scenery pics; west, then more southerly at the point.
Lake.jpeg
Lake.jpeg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Peninsula.jpeg
Peninsula.jpeg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 819 times
I spent about 3 hours fan cast from several shore points: into the bay, across the mouth towards the peninsula, and out into the lake. I can tell you I am not tempted to try muskie fishing anytime soon. Lures tried were various metallic spoons, stick-baits and even a Mepps. Rod is a medium might power – fast action with 10 lb braid and a leader.

Here is the catch for the morning. It was in the 26-27 inch range, but pretty skinny. I think those are lamprey holes on the belly. Lure is a Honeybee spoon.
Pike.jpeg
Pike.jpeg (163.04 KiB) Viewed 819 times

Below are some details about fishing conditions:

Conditions during fishing:
Sky: Overcast, light rain at times
Wind: N – NNE 5-10 mph - blowing directly into the mouth of the bay.
Water Color: Clear
Air Temp: 47
Water Temp: ???
Air pressure: 30.22
Lake Level 96.16

Weather history:
Unsettled weather in prior week, sunny days, cloudy days , thunder storms, overcast
Air pressure gently rising from Wednesday
Lake levels continue to gradually drop (since May 8 peak levels) down about a half inch (96.83 , down to 96.15)
Lake temp dropped sharply with last week’s storm and cold mornings from low 60s down to below 50s (Echo Weather)
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Another Bay - from Shore

Post by Dilly Worm »

I love that spot ! Good to see you had success from shore w/ that HB casting spoon.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Great reports, love the details on conditions.

This is from the Vermont F&W email fishing report last week:
While the NY side of the mid-lake tends to be rockier and deeper close to shore, there are places on the Vermont side that are similar. Try spots like Arnold’s Bay, the Button Bay State Park shoreline, the Burlington waterfront and breakwall, and the Grand Isle ferry breakwall.
(regarding cold-water fishing from shore).

Got to keep trying...all I can say, I know you already know that. I have fished the same spot close to where I live almost exclusively for three years. The water I can hit from shore is about the size of a football field, maybe. The action can be great here but I am still learning the spot, how it changes with the seasons, how to pattern certain species... three years learning...same spot..the size of a football field! Didn't get my first cold-water action there until I started figuring out the lakers this past November.

So, the point of my rambling: keep trying, keep learning. Oh, and maybe try again in fall for cold-water shore fishing if you are on the Vermont side!
Tight lines.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Good thinking Laker fishing on shore in October and November is hot and lots of big females visit the rocks to spawn. And no you don't need to visit new York for them vt has more access shore fishing for Lakers than I have on this side of the lake. Hot spell coming this weekend smelt and Lakers will be heading to deeper water