Rowboat Report: BR Salmon & Lakers !

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Rowboat Report: BR Salmon & Lakers !

Post by Dilly Worm »

It's been almost 2 years since I've had a salmon in the Adirondack Rowboat, and 6 months since I've caught one at all. Finally broke the jinx today with 2 salmon in the rowboat, plus a few lakers to boot !

Here's the fish story, without much detail on location due to the Plattsburgh Derby coming up...

Rowed around in my usual way, with one lead-core line straight off the stern and the other on an inline planer board. Winds were light from the N and rain was sprinkling. Good gloomy day for fishing ! About an hour into the trip the stern line goes off and it feels like a decent laker for about 5 seconds, but then it feels like the fish is swimming toward the boat instead of down, and I have to reel fast just to keep tension on it. Its at the boat in no time, not really fighting, and the net is out and ready, when BAM the fish explodes into the air. Now its game on ! A fat silver fish dives and goes on a long run before jumping 2 more times and then its tired and in the net.

22", 5 lbs, caught at 1:30 pm on the large Honeybee in white & mottled pink/purple that's hanging on the rod here
salmon1.jpg
salmon1.jpg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Made a few loops, saw some arches on the sonar, but no more hits on that spot so I moved on. Next fish is a small laker on the same Honeybee, then another laker on the planer board, then a bigger laker on the Honeybee again. This one had a small lamprey which was removed and the laker released to live a happier life. Usually lamprey detach for me once they're in a boat but this one stayed on and made a nasty 'pop' sound when I pulled it off the fish. The lamprey was then released in multiple pieces.

Looped back to where the salmon was caught, no hits, and trolled towards home. The rod with the Honeybee fires once more and once I start reeling in, the planer board on the other line disappears under water - DOUBLES ! - a rare event in the rowboat, and a little tricky since I'm solo and the boat isn't moving once I drop the oars to reel in. I figure a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush, so I keep reeling in the line I'm holding and hope the other fish stays hooked. That fish turns out to be a 4 lb laker and I drop it in the boat and pick up the rod with the planer board. The fish is still on but not fighting much. Until it's right at the boat and the net is reaching out, then BAM it explodes in the air, its another salmon and its diving like mad. A little more fight and its in the net and into the cooler that passes as a sort of livewell in the rowboat.

21.5", 4.5 lbs, caught at 4:00
salmon2.jpg
salmon2.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
releasing a small laker
laker1.jpg
laker1.jpg (100.11 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
and another
laker2.jpg
laker2.jpg (105.45 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
At the end of the day, it was 11.5 miles of rowing, a Boat Record salmon (5 lbs), and a Boat Record for the most coldwater fish (6) in the rowboat in a single trip. Will I have any luck left for the Derby, or did it all get used up ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Rowboat Report: BR Salmon & Lakers !

Post by Reelax »

Great report Dilly!!!

Thanks for sharing...
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Awsome keep chasing I think I saw you out there
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Meddie. Looks like it was an epic day. Good luck in the derby.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Nice fish you earned it.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Nice haul!
I did a solo trip out on main lake Sunday & went 4 for 7 on lakers, lost 4 to the net all were tanks between 10-15#, landed 3 more in the 3-8# range, wind picked up and got tire of fighting it.
60FOW, 35' down, 75' back, all on rigger, nothing hit lead core.
Wabbler
Species: Whatever bites

Post by Wabbler »

Wow - 11.5 miles and all those fish! You really earned them.
What is the BR for distance?
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Wabbler wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:38 pm What is the BR for distance?
boat record for distance is around 19 miles and 1 yellow perch :evil:
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Nice job, Dilly! Sounds like a lot of work, but you certainly made the most of it!