A weekend day for each bay - from shore

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Wabbler
Species: Whatever bites

A weekend day for each bay - from shore

Post by Wabbler »

22-23 MAY

It was a two fishing trip weekend.

Saturday evening ( 5:00PM) my daughter as if I could take her swimming after a super muggy day. So I loaded up the towels (and a spinning rod and some spoons) and drove us over Town Beach in Ferrisburgh. Well to her credit, she jumped right in and swam around for a good bit. I stood to the side, casting well away from where she was swimming. I was in up to my knees and noticed several schools of small (<1 inch minnows around my legs).

I kept casting after she got out and managed to one small smallmouth bass and this perch on a Honeybee.
Perch.JPG
Perch.JPG (168.56 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Disclaimer: the ruler is not there for anything other than my records.

Next morning I was up and headed out to the end of the point at Button Bay state park. I figured, based on the number of cobwebs I accumulated about my head, face, neck and shoulders, that I was going to be the first person out there and I was right.

Here are some morning scenery pics; Looking west first, then south
LakeThruTrees.JPG
LakeThruTrees.JPG (182.18 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Lake.JPG
Lake.JPG (89.58 KiB) Viewed 941 times
At about 6:00 AM I cleaned the cobwebs and started throwing lures.

I threw spoons (metallic silver and gold based) and various Rapala stick baits both lake-side and bay-side. Basically fan casting from a spot with various countdowns (up to 20 at one point) before reeling. Reeling speed was varied, pauses and extra jerks on the lures were included from time to time.

It was a bit of a tough morning as only one fish committed and that was from the bay side on a diving Rapala (CD-07 Silver).
Bass.JPG
Bass.JPG (167.31 KiB) Viewed 941 times
*See ruler disclaimer above.

I had hoped for a bite from the lake side of the point but was shunned by the salmonids.

Bonus Pic of a pair of otters that came from the North and turned into Button Bay between the point and the island.
Otters.JPG
Otters.JPG (115.49 KiB) Viewed 941 times

What did I learn (or thought I learned)
1) Maybe further I need to go further north on the lake for lake trout or salmon? Any input here would be great. A general “keep at it” OR “you are out of luck until the fall” is fine.
2) Re-enforced that you need to keep throwing to catch.

Below are some details about fishing conditions:

Saturday - Conditions during fishing:
Sky: Overcast
Wind: North wind into Town Beach Bay
Water Color: Clear
Air Temp: 82 and muggy
Town beach/ 5-6:30pm

Sunday - Conditions during fishing:
Sky: overcast the. Cloudy with brief periods of sun
Air temp: 67 rising to 83
Wind: gentle intermittent easterly changing to south wind 5-10 mph
Water color: clear
Water temp: ??
Air pressure: 29.88

Weather history:
Temps up into the high 70s - low 80s
3-4 days of clouds and showers after a 5-6 days of sun. Air pressure falling from 30.4 on Thursday and bottoming out around noon on Sunday at 29.87 OR is easier just to say low pressure front moving in. Sunday morning was the bottom of the pressure trough.
Lake temps: Moving into the 60s the past week at Echo Weather Station
Lake level: continued steady drop in lake level all week from 97.4 to 96.99 on Thursday [need to update this seem to be 10 days past the spring high water mark (May-8: 97.55 feet)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: A weekend day for each bay - from shore

Post by Detritus »

Great report.

I remember when I was a kid on the boat with my family once in Button bay, we saw a strange disturbance way out in the lake. With the history of Champ and everything my dad told us to be quiet, we might get to see something, because whatever it was out there was behaving very strangely.

Well, after watching it for a bit, it turned out to be two otters. Probably the ancestors of your two here.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report the lakers are still feeding near shore i would recommend going north a little or maybe arnolds bay. keep chasing you will connect.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report really enjoyed the read and pics!

Fish on!
Matt B