A quick Sunday morning trip to the bridge

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Wabbler
Species: Whatever bites

A quick Sunday morning trip to the bridge

Post by Wabbler »

Hi Folks,

I am a new member that has been following your forums for about a year. I was encouraged to share fishing reports/experience by a couple of your fellow posters…. So here goes.

I headed to the Crown Point Bridge at 5:30 (Sunday, 5/16) to get started shore fishing, which is mostly what I do. Do you ever wonder if you are the first person at the spot because you picked the wrong spot that day and everyone else knows the place to be?

Here is some of the early morning scenery:

image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (102.98 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

I fished the point, the dock and north of the ramp on the rock outcroppings, then back to the point with no bites on several lures.

Then around 7:45 my luck changed and I did manage to land two small bass.

Here they are are:
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (171.02 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
The ruler is not there for anything other than my records – I know very well much bigger bass get caught all the time 😊
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg (187.36 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
*See ruler comment above

The lure was a Honeybee casting lure. Both my strikes came on my longer casts. I did get a hit on a Shadow Rap (Bud coloring) earlier no takers.
On this morning I also did reacquaint myself with the cottonwood (or whatever those little white tufts are that crawl up your line and into everything)

My bigger excitement was a pike also following that lure and the being hooked for about 30 seconds before jumping and spitting the hook. I was on my ultralight with 4 lb to get better casting distance on with that spoon and could not really horse it around.

Anyway - no giants, but a real nice morning and a couple fish to boot.

What did I learn (or thought I learned)?
1) Maybe this time of year, I don’t need to start until the sun is up a little higher and the water is warmer
2) Maybe the rocky shoreline helps heat that water up and get the fish going.
3) Maybe you don’t need red and white to catch Northern, but you MIGHT want stronger rod and line.....

Thanks for reading.

Below are some details about fishing conditions if you are interested – I use a couple or websites to get this information (not measuring and trying to fish)

At time of fishing:
Champlain bridge point 5:45-8:30 am (rocky shoreline)
Sky: clear with clouds, no haze, very light breeze from time to time
Air Pressure 30.22 to 30.24
Air rising from: 52-62
Water temp: UNK – I could not measure it out in the lake from shore.
Water color: stained green – I think, but bot cloudy
Vegetation: some on the bottom (was pulling in weeds)
Lake level: 97.34 or lower
Visible current under the bridge.

Weather history: - I like to keep this to see how I got to the conditions I fished.
4-5 days of sun after rains
Air pressure up from the high 29s to the low 30s
Lake temps rising into the 50s at the Echo Station ( https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=04294500 ) –
Lake level dropping for 5-6 days from 97.58 to 97.35
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: A quick Sunday morning trip to the bridge

Post by Detritus »

Great report.

I feel like with enough of that information at the bottom of your post gathered, compiled, and compared with results, you could make an app that tells you when and where to fish, with respect to the conditions or something.

I should really pay more attention to that stuff.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

way to go. great report and keep on chasing
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great details... Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!!
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

good to see you on LCU ! thanks for all the detailed info
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Hi Wobbler,

Nice report. We just missed you there. We launched our boat from the bridge launch at 5:00 am. We launch from the bridge most of the time as it is one of the closest for us. It also gives us many options to choose from to fish. Right there for smallmouth, large mouth, pike and perch. Go south for targeting largemouth. Go north for lakers and salmon. Go north for targeting small mouth. Just a great spot. Many times we have a seat open if you want to jump in.
FishPole Thinking
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

I agree with all comments. Excellent report. This is the epitome of this forum, in my opinion. The information and details that so many people give, even if it is from a different angle/platform(ex. Shore v. Boat/Trolling), provides us with knowledge that can ultimately help us all.

On another note, one extremely remarkable and unique aspect of this forum is the kindness and expressions of so many of L.C.U. members. The willingness to reach out and share, not just their info., but also the immediate responses to offer an opinion or suggestion on areas such as; conditions, locations, strategies, depth, lures, lines, set-ups, etc. Also the very aspect of this forum that makes it so unique and vibrant is the responses that are invitations to accompany them at a special/secret spot and/or an unknown location on shore that couldn't have been accessed without help. Also, the thoughtful gesture's by so many, who offer a seat on their boat (for example, "Am Fisfil Thinking", who seemingly is not 100% acquainted with, "Wobbler," the author of this detailed and informative post, (forgive me if I am wrong about the unaquainted assumption!) Who was generous and willing to reply with an open invite aboard their Vessel!

I believe ?:roll:? the Founders and Veterans of this Forum (Raz, Reelax, Fishy1, Ron Winter, Tamiron(spelling???), Crazy Ivan, Dilly, Greenhorn, Geecha, Tunamas, Detritus (the list goes on Forever but you know who you are!!! :) and all of the other highly experienced anglers that hat this is the exact reason the L.C.U. Site was created!(Again, Raz Relax etc. Forgive/Correct me if I am off-base here ,)The uniqueness, (especially in a Forum with a subject like fishing, where there is all-to-often an unwritten rule that anglers must be secretive about certain details of their successes🤐) makes this Forum/Site stand above any that I have personally encountered and I would imagine that sentiment is the same for many of it's members.

Thanks very much for a Great place to Jive with my fellow Fanatics! I appreciate all of the wisdom and knowledge that I personally get by simply reading posts, comments and stories. I am also motivated to offer my own comments, replies, suggestions and invites solely due to the fact that this forum seems to bring out the best in people. :) Looking forward to meeting all of you out on the H2O. I say Thank You in advance for the incredible lessons that I am sure to learn about catching Salmon, fishing the Great Lake Champlain and what it is to be a part of something that resembles the best of humanity! :) :)

I apologize for the Long-Winded reply :roll: :| I o ly wanted to Express my gratitude, respect and admiration for this Site, its members and for all of the knowledge that I have inbedded in my brain in regards to Lake Champlain fishing. I will now stop Groveling😂 :) :lol: and yacking away! :lol: :lol: Thanks Everyone!!! :D

Best,
Ej (TruViking)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum Wabbler. We greatly appreciate the information you provided.
Nice pics of bridge and shore..... we love pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)