Ideas for salmon around mallets bay?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

Ideas for salmon around mallets bay?

Post by Big Bear »

Trolled mallets bay for 4hrs late morning Saturday 5/8 across mallets bay creek a few passes. Had one rigger fire on copper redhead at 12’ in 20’ of water, but missed it. Then went through the inner bay up to red rock point up to the lamoile. Really silty water by the river. Had a small maybe legal Salmon on about halfway between the lamoile and entrance to inner back along that north side of the outer bay, spit the hook after a little dance 10’ from the boat, hit watermelon at 14’ in 22’ depth. We fished with planars and flatlines as well as downriggers in 15-30’ of water and at all depths and many spoon combos.

Seems like at the action is down south, but can’t believe that there are no places up near the bay?

I can’t get under the bridge, it was thinking of going through the gut to the inland sea or maybe trying Colchester reef or even wilsboro. Converse is a long way to go from the bay where my boat is docked.

Thanks!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Ideas for salmon around mallets bay?

Post by Reelax »

Just outside the fill around Providence and stave can hold salmon. This time of year try the shallow water to the south side of both... also Robinson’s in the outer bay should hold salmon...

Good luck!
Matt B
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Reelax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:23 pm Just outside the fill around Providence and stave can hold salmon. This time of year try the shallow water to the south side of both... also Robinson’s in the outer bay should hold salmon...

Good luck!
Thank you, I will try those areas this weekend.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I marked fish 50' down in 70' of water between Robinson's and the river last Friday. I sent a couple of riggers down to see what they were, but couldn't get a bite. I figured they might be lakers but can't prove it.

Good luck in your quest!
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Crayfish wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 pm I marked fish 50' down in 70' of water between Robinson's and the river last Friday. I sent a couple of riggers down to see what they were, but couldn't get a bite. I figured they might be lakers but can't prove it.

Good luck in your quest!
Interesting. I also marked a LOT of fish at those depths at the mouth of the inner and outer bay 50-70’. Seemed odd that they were down so deep. I dropped both my downriggers and 4 lines to cover those depths and tried 1.8-2.4mph and no luck at all. Did about 5 passes back and forth.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

It has been that way for years! I promised myself that I would catch one some day...

I didn't catch a silver in the Bay last year, if it changes boats will be piled back in here ike it was the 80's!
campskylandvt.com
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I can remember counting more than 80 boats, cold water trolling the Outer Bay on LCI weekend, back in the early 2000's.
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

So went around Robinson’s and Stave last Friday night, Saturday am and Saturday night. Caught some Lakers and didn’t see too much on the fish finder.