The Rowboat Report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

The Rowboat Report

Post by Dilly Worm »

I'll be fishing in the Adirondack Rowboat again for a little while. The outboard motor on the beloved Alumacraft is having trouble starting and nearly stranded us in the lake Sunday. I need to heed that warning and get it fixed before taking it out again (rather than saying "it started eventually, I'm sure it will be fine...") Best guess is the fuel pump is going. It may be a couple weeks depending on how long it takes to get the part and if that guess is right...

Meanwhile, back to trolling the way I started. I'd originally gotten the rowboat because I need exercize or I go crazy, so the silver lining is a much needed workout.

Put in at South Slang this morning to sneak into Town Farm Bay the back way, trolled over past Kingsland Bay. There were a few big marks on the fishfinder just outside Kingsland Bay and off the point to the west (does it have a name ? there's McDonough Point on the east and no-name point on the west ??). Whatever its called, most of the fish were there anywhere from 10 to 30 feet down in about 50 FOW. No takers except one hit on an orange/green mottled honeybee that didn't stay hooked. Rowed around the other side of the point, circled a few times, then had to head back and get to work. Near Gardiner Island right after reeling in a couple colors of lead to avoid catching the bottom, immediately a fish was on the line ! Finally ! A feisty fish put up a long fight and eventually a fat two-foot laker was in the net. Lots of fun reeling that one in, it fought well. Easily revived and released in the 43 water.

At the end of the day, it was 9 miles of rowing in about 4 hours, 1 laker, my butt is sore, my back is tired, I'm tired, and it feels great !
Attachments
the fish are down there... but not very hungry today
the fish are down there... but not very hungry today
20210427_115312.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
saved from the skunk by a laker at the last minute !
saved from the skunk by a laker at the last minute !
20210427_121659.jpg (160.61 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Re: The Rowboat Report

Post by TruViking »

A True Die-Hard! Hope your Boat get's up and runnin' soon!

Best,
Ej (TruViking)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Work hard and earned that fish for sure... there are not many who troll by manpower.

LOVE the rearview mirror... great idea....

Thanks for the report Dilly!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a fun way to exercise.
On your pic, the laker seems to say "You won the battle, now please release me"...
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 am That's a fun way to exercise.
On your pic, the laker seems to say "You won the battle, now please release me"...
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that is the old school way, dont stop chasing.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Great report!

I saw you from a distance, but thought it was a kayak. Glad to know it was someone getting it done Old School.

I landed two lakers in the same vicinity. Got one nice salmon off the mouth of Porter Bay.

Robert
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

BlackDucks&BrownDogs wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:21 pm Great report!

I saw you from a distance, but thought it was a kayak. Glad to know it was someone getting it done Old School.

I landed two lakers in the same vicinity. Got one nice salmon off the mouth of Porter Bay.

Robert
good to see you had success w/ the salmon out there !

I only saw 2 other boats fishing close enough to be within waving distance, there was an aluminum boat w/ outboard in Kingsland and a bigger white boat outside the bay later... which boat was you ?
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Duck boat.

Can't miss me as I still have the blind on.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

BlackDucks&BrownDogs wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 pm Duck boat.

Can't miss me as I still have the blind on.
how are you doing?