Strike Three on the River

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Strike Three on the River

Post by Detritus »

The forecast a couple of days ago had said calm winds, partly sunny. Well this morning at 5:30, I looked out to a pretty gray sky. Looked a heck of a lot like rain to me, so I checked the weather report. "Slight chance of showers". Ok, well, maybe its a passing shower. Hooked up the boat, pulled it out, woke up the boys.

The Crew of Strike Three launched today out of our usual launch, and headed straight back to where we were last time, to see if we could find all of those smallmouth the other day. Well, like I said in that report, you can't fish history. No fish.

Also, as I'm sure all of you guys who were out there this morning are acutely aware, the weather wasn't really a passing shower. More like a steady light rain, air temperatures in the 40's under a gray sky.

We had reluctantly set up the bimini right at the launch, because the rain didn't seem to looking like it was going to be letting up any time soon. Well, a couple of hours later, we were glad we did, as well as glad that I had stashed some handwarmers in the glove box of our "warm" water boat. Pretty raw out there. We tried fishing here and there, but your hands would get cold fast. We ended up hiding quite a bit under the bimini.

We also saw a bunch of other guys trolling out there for the cold water species, and that reminded us that if we were aboard the Country Angler, we would be warm, dry, and probably be cooking hot food. A friend of mine had texted me a picture of a 6lb PR salmon he caught right over where those guys were trolling yesterday too.

We all agreed that had we known the weather and fishing was going to be like this, we would have taken that boat out instead.

But, we were out there already, and there was a lot of features of our setup we haven't utilized yet, and if we had the tools right in front of us, we might as well learn how to use them on a day like this. Man, there is some cool ones. Just as an example, we set a route on the chartplotter, basically dotting the shoreline on the map where it touched the water. Set the offset to 75' to starboard forward, and basically pushed go. The boat kept us about casting distance off of the shoreline, and followed it around every point, and every bay for about a mile and a half all by itself. Only stopping when we pushed andhor lock, just to learn functions. It took a couple hours of learning to do it fast, and find a good method, but man, time well spent.

Ok,yes, boring report so far, right? No pictures, making the best of a rough time all that. Here's where it gets interesting.

20210418_112714.jpg
20210418_112714.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

36" 25 lbs. Liams new record of biggest fish in his life. Kid's caught a lot of big fish too. Him and I were both shaking like leaves after that fish was netted. He couldn't be smiling any bigger either, if he had two of his grandmothers on either side of him each pinching a cheek and pulling as hard as they could.

On the way back home we had decided to try an autopilot technique that we had thought up to drift fish for walleye when walleye season starts. Made a course, figured it all out, and figured we'd throw some crawlers over and try it out one pass down the river. Well, Brody and I were watching Liam's jig on the livescope, and jigging ourselves out back when we saw this monster come and check out his bait. After that, the fight was on. Brody actually stowed his rod, and grabbed the tablet, and filmed it all.

I'll post a response to this report with a link to the video on here when I get it uploaded, for those of you who have ever wondered what it sounds like on one of our boats when there is a real monster being boated.

Amazingly, he had it barely hooked in the tail, and he didn't lose it. Very careful fight by Liam. I told the boys I was actually glad we hadn't caught this fish in the derby like that, since it couldn't be entered being hooked like that. But we weren't in a derby, and that fish was stalking his bait, and he still singlehandedly caught it.

Here's how I know these guys were going around sucking up worms today.

20210418_114923.jpg
20210418_114923.jpg (107.01 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

My own biggest fish of my life. This one was just a baby though, 30" 17.5 lbs. He had the worm in his mouth.

Brody was skunked today, however had one good bite, probably another one of these guys. Credit that kid too, for bringing no hint of jealousy to the table when Liam was having one of his most exciting fishing mornings of his life. He's lucky to have a brother like that. All Brody did was make it more exciting for his little brother. Even though that kid puts us all to shame all the time in the fishing boats.

Liam fought another one for a while, but, it was probably only a 10 lb er. That guy spit the hook at the boat.

Here's a few more Miscellaneous picures from the catch.

20210418_112341.jpg
20210418_112341.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
20210418_112348.jpg
20210418_112348.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
20210418_112517.jpg
20210418_112517.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
20210418_114816.jpg
20210418_114816.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

If you go back and look again at the first two pictures of this report, there's a couple things to notice.

In Liams picture, check out his hat. Randy, if you see this, this kid never takes this hat off, even inside.

In My picture, check out what Liam is doing while I'm getting my picture taken with the biggest fish of my life, haha. Yup, just hard at work, doing his thing.

So if you made it this far and have been paying attention, remember the part where we fished history even though we knew we shouldn't, and all agreed we should have launched the Country Angler instead because of the weather?

Well, we were wrong again.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Strike Three on the River

Post by Detritus »

Here's a link to the video of the fight and landing of the fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOevJNF ... l=JackVfam
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that is so awsome glad or see your report on here. keep that boy fishing that is one dandy of a carp. i know that spot very well and its a great spot to fish, i think we met not to far from there, :D i enjoy your detail in the report keep chasing. you will probably be seeing me soon looking forward to shore fishing there again.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Holy Carp !

Congrats to Liam for that lunker

Great to see you catching a big one too

Very impressed with Brody's patience and maturity

Great read and excellent photos. Persistence and adapting to the conditions really paid off, well done !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Way too cool! Love the video...Congrats!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Another great report, and the pics say a lot. Congrats both on your catches. Very entertaining post.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

That report is AWESOME!! Well done!
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

It is amazing how the weather can be different in just a few miles north and south. We were heading out to fish out of Shelburne Bay launch Sunday morning at 7 am. On the way, the clouds looked real black in that direction, but much clearer north. We confirmed that by radar on the phone. So, split decision, we decided to go north instead and wanting to try the inland sea for the first time. The weather was good all day. Just cloudy. Maybe a light drizzle here and there. Calm seas.

However, nothing biting what we were offering. Trolled from the Cedars, Eagle Mountain, in front of Sand Bar, Cowbanks to Kibbie Point. Nothing. Fishpole Thinking is 0 for 3 in our first 3 attempts at cold water fishing our first year at it.

I am thinking there might be a mutiny on board Fishpole Thinking with my wife and son wanting to go back to warm water fishing. This is soooo boring I kept hearing. I see you doing that, so it gave me a good idea to do both to keep the crew happy.

I better find some lake trout or salmon soon before I have to walk the plank. hahaha My wife does drive the boat, so I might be out of a job.
Last edited by AmFishFil Thinking on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishPole Thinking
AmFishFil Thinking

Nice pictures of you and the kids fishing. Amazing catch.
FishPole Thinking
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

What an amazing catch, Liam! Wow! Never caught anything like that in my life. Those boys know how to catch fish .... I see them all over the Master Angler page!

AmFishFil Thinking .... you drove right by a great spot to catch lakers on your way to the inland sea. Colchester Pt. My son and I caught 15 there 2 weekends ago, with 2 of them being over 32"! We were just long-lining large spoons and stick baits in 12-20' of water from Colchester Point north past Sunset Island. What a blast. Look for warmer water coming out of the river. That's where we caught all of them. The south wind that day was pushing the river water past Colchester Pt. Good luck!
AmFishFil Thinking

Crayfish,
That's exactly where we were going to go after coming out of Shelburne bay. The dark clouds over Burlington scared us off. Maybe on Saturday we will try. Weather looks good. Thanks for the tip. I need to prevent the mutiny. hahaha
FishPole Thinking
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Great write-up Jack. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I think we all have our work cut out for us in the DYP. Liam has been getting it done!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

AmFishFil Thinking wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 pm Crayfish,
That's exactly where we were going to go after coming out of Shelburne bay. The dark clouds over Burlington scared us off. Maybe on Saturday we will try. Weather looks good. Thanks for the tip. I need to prevent the mutiny. hahaha
Launch at the mouth of the Winooski and "the laker grounds" are right there. A 5min boat ride once you get out of the river. Just be careful .... it stays shallow for a long ways once you hit the lake.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

It's been said, but deserves another, "Holy Carp!" just watched, and commented on the Video. being a Father myself of two son's their age and Two Daughters a bit older, it gave me Goosebumps to see how happy Liam was and also how psyched his (older, I believe??) brother was along with the great filming, it was just a really great watch!!! There are some Pro's aboard there and I have to say, that moment is exactly what this thing we do is all about! #memoriesthatlastalifetime.

Congrats and looking forward to the next post!!!!

Best,
Ej (TruViking)