First trip in two years

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishmedic
Species: Trout/Salmon

First trip in two years

Post by Fishmedic »

Due to many factors (covid being one ) I'm planning my first trip to Champlain in two years. Heading to Crown point area and Bullwaga Bay. Launching from under Crown Point Bridge. Targeting Salmon, Lakers or anything that will bite.
This will be a new experience since I sold my old boat and bought a new 2020 Suntracker 20ft fishing barge with 90 Merc FS. New boat is to accommodate larger family and three grandsons who love to fish. Bought boat last year and used it on the Connecticut River fishing for Walleyes and Bass. It's amazing how comfortable these boats are to fish from.
Upgrades I made consist of , Minkota 55lb powerdrive trolling motor, Huminbird Helix 5 with GPS, Four Scotty rod holders and two Canon Uni Trol 5 downriggers. I built the downrigger stands which sit on the rails and Anchor to the floor. ( see pics)
I have fished Champlain for many years and know how conditions can change, but if It's decent this will be fun.
Anyone else fishing Champlain on a Pontoon I would like to hear of your experience.

Heading up mid to late next week. I'll give update after trip.

Jim
20210409_143044.jpg
20210409_143044.jpg (195.29 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
20210409_145523.jpg
20210409_145523.jpg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
20200604_140040.jpg
20200604_140040.jpg (138.7 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
To fish or not to fish ??
What a Dumb question !!!
TUnamas

Re: First trip in two years

Post by TUnamas »

In the right conditions, that could be a VERY comfortable fishy vessel. Sounds like you have a good plan to execute this time of year. Congrats on getting the grandkids out Awesome! My grandparents (now deceased) lived on a smallish lake in Michigan and we visited every summer as kids. That's where I learned to manage small boats. I remember when he bought a pontoon boat I was upset, because I wasn't allowed to drive it. We still did well from the tinny, and a neighbor had a ski boat, so we were all set! Looks like you've rigged her well. Good luck!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Detritus was a pontoon. We warm and cold water fished out of that thing a lot before we got the other boats. It was a great fishing platform, except for 4 complaints.

1. It was 20' with a 40HP 2 stroke, and that meant a minimum speed of 2.2 ish trolling, and a maximum speed of 19mph with the wind at your back. You had to fish pretty close to where you launched.

2. In waves bigger than a couple of feet, it would start spearing them a little, flooding your deck once in a while.

3. You are out in the elements. You can't heat it, the wind blows on you regardless of direction, since there's no windshield.

4. No lockable rod and tackle storage. I unloaded everything and loaded it every trip. That's why I built stairs for the trailer. Definitely buy or build yourself some of those.

But that's about it. I only listed complaints because that's all you'll need to prepare for. I could have listed 20 great things about fishing off of that boat, but, you'll see how great it is when you take it out. #1 probably won't be an issue for you anyway, being a new bigger Merc.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Fishmedic

Post by Fishmedic »

Detritus
Thanks for your reply. Your points are very helpful. The Merc 90hp four stroke is awesome. I can get 25 mph and trolling bags should slow me down. Storage is not a big concern. Suntracker makes a Wind enclosure for the back of boat. Buddy heater for cold days. Wind and waves are biggest concern. Will need to be cautious.
Will report back after trip.
Everyone stay safe
Screenshot_20210314-141654_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210314-141654_Chrome.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
What a Dumb question !!!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice pontoon. I love your downrigger bracket.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

. trolling bags should slow me down.
Those new Mercs have troll control or something like that. You should be able to go as slow as you want without bags. I'm not up on it, but ask digitroll or reelax. The ecu can drop the rpms way down and keep them there somehow.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
M&M

Post by M&M »

Great read as I just purchased the Sun Tracker SF22 xp3 with the 150 mercury and the Wind break. I am having the troll control installed so hoping I can get the speed down to 2 for trolling Lakers. I am having the dowrigger brackets made the same way you have them and am installing the Fish hawk X4 and a Lowrance HDS 7.

I will have this on the Island Sea for the summer and can't wait for all the adventures that follow as like you the family is growing so water sports and relaxing on the water will be in the picture as well as fishing.

It is due in next week and plan on having it on the sea for the Plattsburgh derby, I will post some pics once I Have it rigged up.

Good luck
Doug
Fishmedic

Post by Fishmedic »

Doug
Congratulations on your new boat. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I order the winbreak a month ago. Should be here any day. The downrigger brackets I made work great and are easly removable . Good luck and enjoy.
What a Dumb question !!!
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

I want to lay down on one of those bench seats, all comfy-like and wait for one of those downrigger rods tp fire!
As a Father, I have a huge appreciation fir putting the Kids at the top of the priority list! But you also got Grandkids! The Set-up, especially those brackets and the enclosure, not to mention the power that'll be pushing you. You have created the perfect Family Fishing Vessel. The only thing I didn't see in the Pic's.... Where is the jacuzzi?