A heavy laker

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

A heavy laker

Post by Dilly Worm »

My 9yo daughter and I spent about 3 hours on the lake Sunday before getting our first bite. We had 2 downriggers around 5-8 feet down and 60-75 ft back, 1 color lead-core on an inline planer and 2 colors lead right off the stern.

When the stern clicker fired, she was on it ! She reeled in, the fish pulled line out the drag, and the fight went on and on... a few times she wanted to give up, "It's too heavy, I can't reel it in ! " etc... I had lots of time to pull up the riggers and reel in the other lines to avoid a tangle. I wouldn't let her give up and reel it in for her, and she had to be patient when the fish went on a run and she would reel in when she could. She finally got it to the boat and I got the net under it.

This 10-lb laker is now her PB. Of course she was so excited she wanted to eat it, and I had to explain they don't taste good at that size, and back it went. We also caught a 5-lber later on that she talked me into keeping.

Another fun day on the lake. We talked with ReelInvestment on the radio and saw just a handful of other boats around.
waiting for a bite... using the canvas as a blanket while it was cold to start... the fuzzy dice were her idea for good fishing luck :)
waiting for a bite... using the canvas as a blanket while it was cold to start... the fuzzy dice were her idea for good fishing luck :)
waiting-cold.jpg (100.43 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
still waiting...
still waiting...
waiting-warmer.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
28 inches long but a fat 10 lbs !
28 inches long but a fat 10 lbs !
in the net.jpg (159.56 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
weighing !
weighing !
weighing.jpg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Re: A heavy laker

Post by Fishinpole »

Great Picture. My grand daughter loves to fish.
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Awesome fish! The excitement on her face says it all! Good chatting with you on the radio, it ended up being a beautiful afternoon out there even if the fish weren’t too cooperative!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful pics. Your daughter will cherish this moment forever. Congrats on her PB. Thanks for sharing with us.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. There is nothing better than to see a youngster excited about fishing.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Awesome! Congrats Kiddo!
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Awesome post. Congrats. I'm hoping my 11 year old and I can reel in our first soon. That will be our PB as it will be our first. lol
FishPole Thinking
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Post by Brimstone Troller »

Great job Kid!!
Kattywampus
Species: Fish

Post by Kattywampus »

Nice fish! In this past year my 10 year old and I did a lot of fishing. I love seeing kids enjoy being on the water.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Awesome catch. She's got Tess beat by 2 lbs. Is that the boat record now? That ties the boat record for the Country Angler too.

Nice day out yesterday. How did the new radio work? Fixed mounts are way more powerful than handhelds. Strike Three is getting one this week.

A nice brown last week, couple of lakers this week, sure looks like the fishing season is starting to take off.

AmFishFil Thinking wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:08 pm Awesome post. Congrats. I'm hoping my 11 year old and I can reel in our first soon. That will be our PB as it will be our first. lol
\
Thats going to be the beginning of a long road right there. Some guys don't reach the end until they go to set rods in that big lake in the sky. It won't be long for you guys, and once you start catching them, you'll only catch more.

It sure looks like there's getting to be quite a few kids fishing in the fleet lately. You guys that were talking on the DYP thread had that idea to someday have a kid centered LCU derby might actually get a pretty good turnout if that happens some day. I didn't think there were that many around that fished cold water species. It's good to see that I'm either wrong, or the sport is growing in that age group.

Great report Dilly.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

way to go what a catch and the smile says it all.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

thanks everyone ! can't wait for next week (school vacation) to get out again on the lake w/ the kids
Detritus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 pm Is that the boat record now? That ties the boat record for the Country Angler too.

Nice day out yesterday. How did the new radio work?
Its the new boat record (excluding anything foul-hooked, which doesn't count)

new radio worked great, we got to chat w/ Reelinvestment and share some tips. Much better than the handheld because the range is farther, and it's wired in to the boat electric so no need to conserve battery life.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

Gawd........she is adorable !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Oh Dilly Dilly.. the smiles and the memories!!!!!

Great report. That is a mammoth laker,,,
Matt B