Winni Derby 2021

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Winni Derby 2021

Post by TruViking »

Couldn't figure out where to post this. Sorry, it's not a Fishing Report. I will take my Punishment understandably and with my head held high! :D

I was Curious if any of our members participate in the "WINNI DERBY," held at Lake Winnipesaukee, NH. Headquarters in Laconia, N.H. I believe still.
Anyway, I have entered this Derby when my time permits, for quite some time now. Luckily, this year, I am able to get at it again this year. I'm bringin' my boys and hopefully one of my daughters.
If anyone is going, I thought it would be cool to exchange contact info. Always good to have more than one set of eyes and Boat to find those fish! Have to do whatever you can to compete with those that are local to the Lake(and there sure is a lot of them!)
I will be staying @NAWSA Resort/Cottages. It is located at Moultons Cove, basically across from Winni Marina. They have Dock space and I will have lines wet within 5 min. of leaving the dock! The Cottages are nice and can see the Boat right from the front porch. So if you are thinking of going, that is one place I would recommend!
If you are going. I would be more 5han happy to share info and maintain radio contact during the derby.

Just figured I would thro that out there.
I hope everyone is Healthy and On the Water as much as possible!
Best,
Ej
(TruViking)
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Re: Winni Derby 2021

Post by freshguy »

I'm one of the locals, but will not be competing this year. Will be at Ontario until Saturday of the derby.
There are many, many traditions linked to the derby. In many instances its the only time some families fish together.
The Winni salmon are quite different from the Champlain salmon. A big Winni fish is 5 lbs! The predominant year class is now 6 year olds. These fish are 22"-24", and weigh between 5 and 6 lbs. Problem is, there aren't that many left. After 3-4 years of stocking fish 14-17 per pound (that about each fish weighing 1 oz!) the salmon population collapsed.The federal hatchery in Nashua is now raising our fish. Last year they were stocked at 7 per and this year (last week in May) its anticipated they will be 4-5 per. This bodes well for our fishery in coming years. The derby rules encourage catch and release by instituting a minimum length, but with the predominant class exceeding that length most fish will be kept.
The lake trout are not stocked, but naturally reproduce. Like Champlain, there are way too many in the lake, which stunts their growth. There are some real monsters out there,as the ice fishermen always bag many 10+ pounders.
The same methods you use at Champlain will work at Winni. Top Guns, DB Smelt, Honeybees and Crazy Ivan's all work well as does live bait (slider rigs are illegal, can have 1 hook point with bait). Personally, I pull feathers most of the time with good results. The Tackle Shack in Merideth has most patterns used by locals, but anything orange, yellow, red (Maynard Marval, Mickey Finn) or smelt imitation work well.
Glad to see your kids with you, maybe it will be one of your traditions, good luck and tight lines
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Thank You so much for the reply! I appreciate the info. I totally understand what you mean about the traditions. The Derby is some of the only memories I have of my Father from when I was my Son's age(Eleven). That's very interesting that the Federal Hatchery now manages the stocking, I had no idea about that. Like with Lake Champlain, I wish more people could practice catch and release with the Salmon, sometimes it's not possible though. You are right about mentioning my kids. It's the reason I am doing this, basically the reason I do anything!
Again, thanks for the detailed advice. This is exactly why I Love this Forum!
Safe Travels to Lake Ontario. I will be looking for your posts in the "Lake Ontario" Report section here!!!!

Best,
Ej
TruViking
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

sounds like a fun derby. how many days is it?
freshguy
Species: landlocksalmon

Post by freshguy »

This year it's May 14-16. It is always the weekend after Mother's Day
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

I think the average is somewhere around 1,500 anglers.
They have Great Sponsors with lots of Daily Prizes and some sizeable Grand Prizes. FIRST PLACE SALMON DIVISION
Grand Prize Salmon:
Boston Whaler 150 Montauk with 60 hp. Mercury ELPT EFI 4-stroke, fishing package, rail package, canvas top, and trailer.
Grand Prize Laker:
FIRST PLACE LAKE TROUT DIVISION
2021 Polaris Sportsman ATV 450 H.O. EPS

They also have Junior Categories which is what I am shooting for. They haven't posted the prizes, but they are generous for sure!

Can't beat a weekend like that..... #Memories!!