New to the forum, looking for some places to try for salmon tomorrow 4/10

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Big Bear
Species: Cold water

New to the forum, looking for some places to try for salmon tomorrow 4/10

Post by Big Bear »

Hi,

This might be posted in the wrong place and if so I apologize. I am new to the board and it’s been more than 6yrs since I have been trolling and never this early. Tomorrow looks like strong south wind so was thinking of launch of big Burlington and fishing Shelburne or willsboro bay with large planar boards and down riggers somewhere around 5’. If anyone has suggestions, it would be appreciated! Thank you!

Big Bear
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Re: New to the forum, looking for some places to try for salmon tomorrow 4/10

Post by TruViking »

Hey Jay,
Welcome!
My 1st suggestion is to look at the threads in the forums.
"Reelax", posts s9ome very detailed reports and some very recent ones. That's just an example. There are many, many more insightful and informative posts. My luck, thus far has been out of Converse bay with similar set-up's as what you just mentioned. The water is warming and the fish will be moving for sure.
Hope to see you out there.

Best,
Ej
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Thank you. Not sure I will go that far south to converse. Does Shelburne bay hold salmon, I know that around the mouth of willsboro and around 4 brothers used to be good, but that was circa 2015 and late May / June.
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Ya. I know it! There were(?) some Prime spots, not so long ago, that were very close by and fished them for quite some time! Times have seemingly changed(Or Maybe Not!)
Where do you live roughly? Chittenden County? I only ask because it seems we have a similar predicament. I live in the N.N.E. of Burlington and my ideal Launch site is @ the Coast Guard Ramp. I have done an extensive amount of fishing, launching out of Burlington. Traveling North, past the Colchester Reef, South past Four Brothers and in/out Shelburne Bay, even further down to Meech Island then Thompsons point. I have done that route a ton. I also have launched out of Mallets Bay quite a bit and headed every which way you could go.....
Now, if the Target was Lakers, I would be more than happy with the results of my countless hours on the hunt. Hundreds of Lake Trout taken from Summer Through early Winter(Ice) I have had three people catch their P.O.B-Lakers @ 9lb, 11lb and 13.6 lb. all this past Fall(2 right off Apple Tree Point and One in the drop-off @ Mallets Bay. That isn't much of an abnormality as the Lakers are dominating the Lake all-over right now. The Salmon..... well that's a different story. I Have done quite well down at the Converse area, but I had only had two Salmon come aboard(2 misses) 1 of which was in between Juniper island and Proctor Shoal/Shelburne Shipyard area, the other's were at the drop-off/ledge between Four Brothers and Willsboro.
I admit, :oops: I got very narrow minded and focused on Converse Bay towards end summer into winter. There was so much talk and great reports about the Mid-South of the Lake and Southern points, I focused on those areas primarily for quite some time, and I was rewarded kindly! That said, there are definitely some great spots with tons of forage along the routes I mentioned and I have witnessed Salmon rising through Bait Balls and Birds chasing/Preying on them. :shock:
I am a firm believer that the Silver Sleuth's are bound to be anywhere in the Lake where the Food is. :twisted: :roll: (Captain Obvious!)
I intend on taking a few days to scout some spots I have identified on my maps. I will be sure to let you know my results if you'd like.
Sorry for the lengthy answer, I tend to talk to much . Especially about Fishing!! Feel Free to get a hold of me at any time. I would be happy to share any Nav. Points or info. I have come across.

Best,
Ej(TruViking)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

This time of year finding warm water pockets is the key, shallow water with dark preferably pebble or sandy bottom that warms quickly in the sun will help find fish. Flow into lake from small steams or culverts is helpful. If you can find an area that is warmer than the rest make a few passes... good luck and please let us know how you make out...
Matt B
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Thank you for all the tips! It was a fun day, lots of trouble finding the fish. Eventually caught a small 20” laker in Shelburne bay about 15’ down on green spoon with downrigger around 11:15am in deeper 55’ water as we were preparing to head in. Water temp there was 39-43 degrees and we fished a bunch of depths.

Started out with a few passes at appletree and nothing there, tried planar boards,
Flatlines and down riggers 3-15’ down in depths 10-25’. No bait no nothing. Proceeded up to the Winooski and water up there around the point was cold just over 36 degrees. In front of the Winooski it was only slightly warmer 37-38 but we didn’t go too close to the bridge.

All in all a great day and was able to set up the trolling bag rope lengths so now really easy to get them in and out.

Also we trolled 2.2-2.6 and varied it. Laker was at 2.4mph.
Attachments
5BB94A33-A1F9-41AB-8CB0-3D00737E47B8.jpeg
5BB94A33-A1F9-41AB-8CB0-3D00737E47B8.jpeg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 814 times
219FD7D8-7E37-40C8-B96D-CD04AC068ADA.jpeg
219FD7D8-7E37-40C8-B96D-CD04AC068ADA.jpeg (125.79 KiB) Viewed 814 times
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Thanks for the report.
Seems like you got a good set-up. There's always next time!
I agree with your approach to the mouth of the Winooski (although that whole area is dangerously shallow!) if the Salmon go in.... they must come back out!
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

We saw a few smaller boats fishing closer in near the Winooski in the shallower water and didn’t seem that they were doing much.