1st Trip Planned Sunday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

1st Trip Planned Sunday

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

We have been working on our boat this spring and hope to have it all finished by Saturday. Going to take a run on Sunday morning launching from Converse Bay early morning. Any advice? Our first time cold trout and salmon fishing.

Downriggers and rod holders all installed. New fish finder installed. Boat all serviced. New line counting reels and rods all spooled.

I think we are ready for a trial run. Nervous, but excited.

Finally decided on a name for the boat. "FishPole Thinking" We are "FishPole Thinking" (pun on wishful thinking) that we will catch trout and salmon. If you see us in "FishPole Thinking" say hi.
FishPole Thinking
AmFishFil Thinking

Re: 1st Trip Planned Sunday

Still trying to convince my wife that we need a radio. If you see us, please tell her that we need a radio. lol She will be the tiny Filipino fisher woman that loves fishing. She says that we have cell phones for emergency. I want to talk to the fleet. hahaha
FishPole Thinking
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

FishPole ... welcome to the fleet! I haven't fished down that way for a over a week, so not a lot of help on where to go. What I will say is that the wind is going to be out of the south for a few days before Sunday, so you'll want to look for south facing areas as these will hold the warmer water.

Hopefully someone who's fished there recently can offer more advice. Good luck!
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

I fished out of converse this past Sunday, water temps were really low still, warmest i could find was 37 around Town Farm Bay, no marks no fish, Whallons bay, 35 or so, no marks no fish, down by the mansion was a little warmer but same results, no marks no fish, I'll probably be out again on Sunday launching form Converse.

Good luck!
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Post by Brimstone Troller »

Welcome. The thing about the radio is you can call for help from other boats on the water unlike the cell. I don't know about you but I don't have peoples phone numbers. Maybe that will help you with your wife.
AmFishFil Thinking

Brimstone- Thanks about the radio advice. That seemed to work as we were stuck on the lake for a few hours 4 years ago when my last 1970's Starfish engine finally ceased on the water. Luckily some bass fishermen towed us. I think I'm getting closer to ordering a radio and antennae.

Tire Jockey and Crayfish- Thanks for the advice. Going to go now matter what (unless big waves) as I need to do a first trial run and test everything out.
FishPole Thinking
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Awesome! Sounds like you've done a Ton of work. You have given yourselves a great chance at finding those elusive, yet coveted Salmon! I will be out there on Sunday as well. Also launching out of Converse.
I am looking forward to (Hopefully) meeting some of you and seeing your set-up's, learning different tactics, etc.

I also agree with the aforementioned advice. A Marine Radio is crucial, if not essential, even just for Safety reasons. I hope that works out for you. Just in case, I'll throw my Cell # out there.
(802)304-0357
Maybe I will see you all out there.

Ej
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

I bought a portable radio for not much. Coverage is pretty good and I didn't have to install an antennae. I bought an Icom based on reviews
Hawkeye
Species: salmon

Post by Hawkeye »

I definitely would go for the Marine radio 25 watt with a good antenna. You cannot always get a cell signal on the lake.... Converse is a ways from Burlington where the Coast Guard is if you are in trouble you want them to hear you. I would also recommend one of the new units with an emergency button.... you hook up you GPS to the radio and when you push the emergency button it sends your lat/lons in a data burst to the Coast Guard with an ID number that has the info on you and your boat... Ask the question,,,,,,, is it worth the extra safety.
AmFishFil Thinking

Our first trip went well until the end. Everything worked well. The fish finder worked well, but hardly any marks. The down riggers worked well. Used dipsy divers and off shore planner boards. Used combinations of stick baits and spoons. Went to the south side of Town Farm Bay and worked our way north in 20 - 30 ft of water fishing around 10-20 ft depth. Town Farm Bay was choppy at first, then settled down. No bites until the North side of Thompson's point where we got one release but nothing there. At the end, getting back into Converse Bay rounding Garden Island at 1.8 mph, a boat came in fast from across the lake NY side, set up their gear fast to get ahead of us in Converse, came right up along us and pinched us into real shallow water along Garden Island. No room to turn left to maintain depth. We had to reel everything in really fast. Then, just decided to leave. Will try again.
FishPole Thinking
VT Dukhntr
Species: Salmon

Post by VT Dukhntr »

I will apologize. That was me. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. When we came across, you were still south of the island. We slowed down and starting setting up before we realized you were already up on the same side. I thought the water was deeper than that along the outside and I thought we were going faster than you and wouldn't pinch you entirely. Again, I'm sorry. Wasn't trying to be a jerk, but understand it was a dink move.
AmFishFil Thinking

VT Dukhntr- Thanks for stepping up by responding and for the apology. Good luck out there.
FishPole Thinking