Slide Divers

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Slide Divers

Post by striper192001 »

Hey Guys,

Have not been logging on so probably have some catching up to do. I bought some slide divers late last season but never deployed them. Can you guys/gals suggest an ideal rod/reel setup for them ? Should I use braid and which LB/brand. How much leader and what should I use there.
Appreciate all the help.

John
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Re: Slide Divers

Post by nhjim »

were running med taloras with 600 tekota's line counters.braid 40-60 lb run diver right on braid 8' leader favoring mono leaders about rod length 12 lbish. tried lighter flourocarbon but had some break offs.similar to dipsys on the strike little violent. mono gives a little stretch to the system.
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Are 7 foot med Taloras too short ? My boat allows storage of 7 foot rods.....
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

we run an 8' and a 9'. 9' works better more clearance for riggers especially on corners. cant say i would recommend 7'
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Braid works very nice 50 lb Power Pro Superline. However, Fleas makes a huge goop ball on braid from June to October now. 30 lb Mason wire is a better option for the Flea season. 6 ft 15 lb Fluro leader. 20-25 lb Mono Big Game Berkley about 40 ft. I use a heavy rubber band to fasten the diver above my reel on the rod handle (so it can be stored upright in a rod holder) and run the 6 ft leader up to the 2nd highest guide near the end. Replace the end guide with a Twilly Tip to manage the wire as the ceramic guide will wear. Okumu / Daiwa makes a 9 ft Dipsy rod that is inexpensive. These rods will go beyond your side riggers nicely. Small snaps size 10 at Dick's work well to attach mono to braid or wire and it passes thru the level wind reel. Size 30 reel is fine. There you go!
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Thanks you guys especially Ron. I have copied info to get geared up. I have dealt with fleas. Ron.......you add 40 feet of 25 lb to handle the fleas? That is all you add ? I did see the note about Mason wire but am not familiar with that. Thanks again guys
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

The mono is for the diver to slide on if I'm not mistaken.
digitroll (ron)

40 ft of 25 lb mono Berkley Big Game from Wallmart makes a good medium for the slide diver to slide and for a long leader.
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Ron, so is 40 feet typically the max you will run behind the diver ??
digitroll (ron)

40 ft yes
Brimstone Troller
Species: Trout/Salmon/Bass

Post by Brimstone Troller »

I run 8'6' med. action ledcore rods. 20-30 mono with 30" Fluro leader. Typically run the lure 40-60' behind the diver. Had lots of success with that setup.
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

You have gotten some amazing advice (No Surprise There!), but for what it is worth, here's my typical set:
When the yucky Fleas come out to play, I have found that a setup like a...anywhere from 12-30lb. lb. mono, and when the Fleas are not an issue, I will run braided line, 20-30lb. test. I like Fire-line, fused "grey" (black) and P-Line as well as Power Pro. I like to switch up colors. It helps me distinguish things sometimes if we have a feisty critter on the line. I then attach at 20# /70' 'mono or fluorocarbon leader, attached to that is a barrel swivel. then run a 7'-8' 12lb. fluorocarbon leader, For the Fluorocarbon, I Love the YO-Zuri 12lb. test. I also use P-Line and Seaguar. I run a dodger about 24-36" above my spoon on most of these setups. then a total of 7-8" of 12-20# leader line works best for me.

I use the clear snubber whenever possible with a Slide or Dipsy, Jet, Mini, etc. Diver's by adding it after the barrel swivel with a 6 foot 12-20# fluorocarbon or mono leader and snap swivel. Half of my set-up's include a dodger. In this case, I set it with another barrel swivel after the snubber attach the dodger, another barrel swivel and 4' Leader to spoon of choice.
I always tie my spoons directly to the leader, but if I can make anything else in my set-up's interchangeable, I use a variety of rolling barrel swivels and Coast-lock swivels where I can. My rods vary from light action 7' to medium action 8'6"-9' Rods.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Ej for sharing your slide diver settings. Looks of good info.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)