The Big One that wasn't so big after all

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

The Big One that wasn't so big after all

Post by Dilly Worm »

Has anyone else felt like a huge fish was on the line, patiently fought it a long time so as not to break the line, only to find out it was not what it seemed ?

Trolling around Converse and Whallons today, I thought I'd hooked into a real lunker... a little ways south of split rock the lead-core line fired and after pulling drag a few seconds, line started screaming out of the reel. I was fishing solo, so I took the motor out of gear and used the electric trolling motor so I could control the boat with the foot pedal while fighting the fish. It was pulling hard and tugging the line like a big laker shaking its head. I set the drag as tight as I dared, thinking this fish could easily snap the line. Slowly I pumped the rod up and reeled in when I could.

The minutes went by and the fish was tired but still making it tough to reel in. But it didn't feel normal - the fish was resisting more than fighting. Thinking I had something really big that I didn't want to lose if it tangled itself around the downrigger cable, I held the rod in one hand and reeled up the manual downrigger with the other - the way the fish was just steadily resisting I figured I could get away with that. A little while later I saw the downrigger rod start bouncing - doubles ! But no time for whatever was on that line, I ignored it while continuing to fight the big one. It took a few long runs where it peeled a few colors of lead out of the reel, and again I slowly reeled it back in. I barely glimpsed the fish when it saw the boat and dove down, and again I slowly reeled it back up.

About a half hour after hooking the fish, the boat had drifted across the lake and was closer to Thompson's point than Split Rock. When I finally netted it there, it was no monster. Just a ~29-inch laker that somehow had gotten foul-hooked in the base of the dorsal fin :o I guess the hook being there gave it better leverage to swim away and pull on the line, and made reeling it in like catching a tree that fights back. Oh well, it was thrilling while the illusion lasted. The laker was revived and released.

Then I went to reset the other line that was on the downrigger. That rod was pointing straight up in the holder and the line looked slack, as expected I assumed the other fish was long gone. Another surprise - fish on ! That other fish had patiently waited on the hook, and I reeled in a small laker.

Aside from that excitement, it was a good day. Went 7 for 10, all lakers. The others were from 15 to 27 inches and came anywhere from 90 feet down on a downrigger to 4 colors of lead. The Country Angler was out there too, and we had the lake to ourselves. The ramp at Converse was slushy, but manageable.

After that dry run, I am now ready for a real lunker !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
digitroll (ron)

Re: The Big One that wasn't so big after all

Post by digitroll (ron) »

LOL Yup it was a Sheephead about 15 lbs a few years ago off Split rock fishing solo in August. What a disappointment!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sometimes it seems like a big laker will miss a hook but hook up on the pass by. About 10 years ago we got 3 lakers by the tail all
Around 10lbs. Those fish required neutral and about 15 min each... each time we thought we had a derby winner, each time we were very disappointed 😔
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

We've had 2 sheephead play that trick on us. I chalk it up as all part of the mystery and fun. Wicked day out there today wasn't it? I should have recommended that you go troll a little bit down by the edge of the ice. It was pretty cool, even though the only thing biting down there was baby Lakers.

We couldn't get a 100% positive ID on the birds, but we think we saw an osprey, and/or a bald eagle. They were pretty far away, but dwarfed the black backed gulls, that were twice as big as the other gulls. Our resident wildlife enthusiast Liam spotted them both, as well as two other birds of prey.

Nice job managing the fight regardless of what was on the other end of the line. You landed it.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

This had happened a few times to us. Good way to get the hart pumping.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Exciting read Dilly Worm.
It's a little disappointing when we see the catch is nowhere what we expected, but at least we are pretty excited bringing it to the boat.
I guess we all experienced this at least once and its never a dull moment.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)